I really didn't get all of the things done this weekend that I had wanted too. Sometimes unexpected things come up and you roll with it. That's how life goes.
Friday night Riley and I wanted to go shopping and my mother-in-law had offered to watch our kiddos. Only problem was that she was also watching my little nephew who is barely two months old and I did not think it was a good idea to have my sick kids cough and hack and wipe their runny little noses all over the little guy. So we think "family outing", no problem. This will be fun!
Uh, no. We couldn't have been more wrong. For all of you mom's who are able to take your kids shopping with you all of the time, I highly commend you and you have my sincere admiration. Myself, I avoid it all costs. Friday night was a perfect example of why.
Our first stop was at Target. I start to have Target withdrawals if I've been away too long. In this case I had, and I wanted to be able to really look around since I hadn't been there in a while. Riley was humoring me pretty well, (that usually means there's something he wants to buy) and I'm bopping around. A cute bag for me here, a treat for Kendle there, everyone's happy. For a whole ten minutes. Then Kendle starts in with her smoothie campaign. "I want a smoothie!" She keeps repeating it over and over again, telling us how HUNGRY she is and she wants one SO bad. We keep telling her they don't have those here and we finally lose patience since we know we still have another store to go to and decide to go ahead and check-out. We get to the check-out line and she sees the slushy machine and decides that's what she really wanted. Not a smoothie, but a slushy. We tell her not this time, but we will go drive through McDonald's and get her a milkshake and something to eat since she's claiming to be SO HUNGRY. We hurry over to the McDonald's and pull up to the drive through and all of sudden she decides she doesn't want a milkshake with her happy meal. Just water. I'm exasperated at this point, but we get her a bottle of water with her food and off we go. She took two sips of the water and then said she wasn't hungry. Me and Riley just look at each other, you know that look where you both want to just scream but you're determined not to lose your patience.
Our next stop was Kohl's. They were having some really good sales that I wanted to take advantage of. We put Morgan in a litle stroller and off we go. Five minutes into the store he starts crying and whining and doing his pathetic little faces. I dig out a little treat from my purse for him and that keeps him happy for a few more minutes. Until he lost it amid all of the racks of clothing. So to keep him happy I have to keep pushing the stroller or doing the stand in place moving the stroller back and forth move while I try to look through the sales racks. That's multi-tasking at it's best. Riley and Kendle have disappeared, but I can't say I'm too dissapointed about that since it's two less people following me around. A little while later Riley throws a shirt in the cart and tells me he will just take the kids out to the car while I finish my shopping. I think he was embarrassed that he could hear our baby crying throughout the whole store. I finished up my shopping, but I hate to feel rushed and like I didn't get to check everything out. The highlight of the night was picking up Olive Garden to go and then heading home to put the kiddie's to bed and watch a movie. I was exhuasted!
Saturday morning Riley had to leave early and go unload equipment for their soccer team. They start practices and tryouts this week and it's going to start getting kind of crazy around our house. Can't wait for that. I had been promising Kendle that we would get her hair cut, so as soon as Riley got home we left to do that. Her hair looks really cute and I'll have to post some pictures tomorrow. I think it makes her look so much older. This was her first big hair cut and the lady cutting her hair was trying to talk me out of it because she has such pretty hair, but Kendle wanted it short and I think it will be a nice change. She loves it.
My aunt and uncle from Moses Lake called and said they were at the Home and Garden show over at the TRAC and wanted to stop by on their way back home. So we frantically cleaned the house because it looked like a tornado had come through and enjoyed a good long visit with them later in the afternoon. This particular aunt was in high school when I was about Kendle's age and would fix my hair and do my makeup and I always thought she was so fun. I'm glad they gave us a call.
Yesterday was our ward conference and it was enjoyable to listen to our Bishop and our Stake Presidency speak to us (even if I was out in the foyer with a loud wiggly baby the majority of the time). They are some great men and gave us some very good council and inspiration. In primary Kendle got to give the opening prayer and it made me happy to see that she doesn't need help from mom anymore and that she has such a sweet little testimony of the gospel. She loves primary.
By 8:30 last night when we had put the kids to bed, I was feeling like we needed another weekend just to relax and play catch up. I'm sure most of you feel the same way. Maybe next weekend......
*I guess I'm not the only one who had a wild weekend. Ha,ha.
February 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


13 comments:
This whole weekend sounds so very familiar! You are definitely not alone in your struggles Sarah!
I can't wait to see Kendle's hair!
Wow. It sounds great and full packed. I might know your aunt and uncle. I know Moses pretty well.
Jan-
They are Brett and Sherri Hill, do you have family there?
did you go to the dinner on sat? olive garden has a way of righting so many wrongs!
This was a so funny Sarah. I know it wasn't for you this weekend, but we've all been there. The kids screaming, everyone is hungry, and all you wanted to do was shop. Hopefully you found some cute things at the stores. We went to Kohl's last weekend, and I couldn't believe how cheap everything was!
Wow I am tired just from reading this! I cannot wait to see Kendles hair!
Sarah-I think Brett knows my neice Sheri Peterson. If its the same one. funny
Shopping with kids = inevitably not very fun time. I try to avoid it whenever possible as well, but sometimes you just have to do it. Can't wait for pics of Kendle's hair!
I had to laugh at your fun family outing. Did you ever wonder why I would go over to Sentry about every night at 8:30 when Tam and Tuc were little? Sometimes I didn't even need to shop but just roamed the store in search of some peace and quiet!
Wow, that Kendle.... sounds a little familiar.
Sarah, as I read your post, I kept thinking "this too shall pass." Now that my kids are all older, it is much easier to go to town and do things together. It gets better, but I agree, it is so much easier to just run errands by yourself, without a husband and screaming, whining children.
At least experiences like this will help frazzled mothers appreciate it when it gets easier.
Post a Comment