Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




July 11, 2008

Growing up in a small town

I find myself often comparing the way I grew up, to how my children are being raised and the environment of a larger town contrasted to small town life. And when I say small, I mean a town of less than 3,000 people. As children, my siblings and I would run and play until we were too exhausted to move another inch. We had a huge backyard with tons of trees to climb, and lots of places to hide. My mom loves to garden and we always had tons of beautiful flowers and plants growing all around our home. As a kid, I just loved my life.






















We had lots of freedom to roam, ride bikes, take walks, daydream, and use our imaginations. I remember during the summer time racing my bike up and down the little slope of a road in our neighborhood until it got too dark to see where I was going. We knew most, if not all of our neighbors (we still laugh about the ditch man and his mean dogs) and there was always something to do. We would have sword fights with our awesome home made shields and wooden swords (that should be a whole other post), made forts in the backyard, played army, ran through the sprinklers and played catch.


As far as the town itself went, we had one semi-grocery store, a gas station, a mini-mart, two taverns, a post office, a grade school and junior high, one movie store or another, a shady motel, and that's about it. We lived close enough to the grocery store that we could walk or ride our bikes and get a pop or a candy bar. As a kid, what more do you need? We hardly ever ate fast food since the nearest McDonald's or anything else was about 20 minutes away. One of my earliest childhood memories of going into "town", was to see the movie "E.T." at the old Hermiston Theater. I think I was about two or three years old at the time. Mostly everyone in town knew each other and I went to school with a lot of the same kids all the way from kindergarten through high school. At the time, I thought that was kind of boring not having very many new people to meet, but looking back now I think it was pretty neat.


As I got into my teenage years, and my younger brother and sister were the ones roaming the neighborhood, times were starting to change. You had to be more aware of where they were, who they were with and so on. I had one terrifying experience when I was babysitting and my little brother went off with some friends without telling me and I did not know where he was. I couldn't find him for over two hours. There were some pretty questionable people who had moved into the area around that time and I was beside myself with worry. I thought I was going to kill him when he finally came back home.

Today I am very careful about where my children are and who they are with. I let Kendle ride her bike, but only in front of our house where I can see her. Sometimes I wonder if I am being too overprotective. I am kind of a worry wart about those type of things. I feel sad she won't have the same experiences that I did growing up. I wish my children would have room to roam, places to explore, and the freedom to run the day away. Like the old saying goes, "you don't know what you got till it's gone".

So ya, I grew up in a podunk, boondocks town. We didn't have sidewalks, cool stores, or a place to get a decent burger, but what we did have you can't buy nowadays.

F-U-N.

7 comments:

Jan said...

Love love that picture. Adorable.

I grew up in the same exact size and style. I didn't like the town much, but I sure did like the way of life. I didn't have a good experience there, but the memories of endless horse ridings, freedom to explore the earth and just no worries, was worth the hardship of my peers.

Lucky you for the fond memories and the understanding of how blessed you were. Cute post Sarah.

tharker said...

Your childhood sounds like it was wonderful. I grew up in a semi small town. It was small enough that my brothers and I could ride to our friends houses, (I remember my best friend's house was at least a mile from mine, but my mom never worried) to the store for candy, whatever.

It's so sad to me that our kids will not know that kind of freedom. But I too am a worry wart and refuse to take chances. This world is just so different from the one that we grew up in, and that makes me sad.

I only let my kids play in the front yard if I'm out there with them. And if I'm not outside, I will only let them ride their bikes in front of our house where I can see them from the front window. I might be too paranoid, but sadly I think it's the way we have to be now.

By the way, I love the new colors on your page.

Anonymous said...

i had a childhood much like our kids. don't worry about kendle missing out. i loved my childhood. i loved that there were so many lds kids in my neighborhood and the safety and friendship it provided. when i was older my best friend lived down the street and we would spend summer days walking back and forth between our houses to play or spend the night. if we wanted to get together, a 5 minute walk was all it took :) remember, the world is alot bigger to a kid then it is to us. our backyards that seem small, are pretty dang big to our kids :) plus, there are sooo many activites and places to go in the city. i bet new-yorkers would think the tri-cities WAS the country! :) ps. your baby picture totally reminds me of morgan...those eyes!

Anonymous said...

Boy, times have changed, haven't they? I remember walking to/from school in elementary school. There is NO WAY I'd let Zack walk to or from school. It sucks having to be so protective of your kids these days. Feels like they're missing out on so much.

Julie said...

Amen sister! I think that too about letting our kids roam. I used to go to a park down by a rapid flowing river which is now where all the scary people hang out. I think our kids will still have good times but it will just be a lot different.

::lindsay said...

Times really have changed. Unfortunately, I feel we all have to be so careful with our children, whether the town is big or small. There are just a lot of bad people out there today.

Kris said...

I always love your thoughts and hearing about your childhood. You had a great carefree childhood. We are in MT today and by the way, this hotel that you told us to stay at, is so awesome. We are having a great time. I'll catch up more with you later. For now, it's back to family time.