Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




May 14, 2009

Pregnancy Journal: Week 10, AKA the worst week ever

I've been having one heck of a week. I can't wait until I have happy and funny little things to share about being pregnant.

Tuesday morning I had my first doctors appointment which I did NOT want to go to since I was pretty sure I would be sick while I was there. I had been throwing up since Monday evening and was not thrilled about waiting in a doctor's office for who knows how long. Riley called them up, told them what was going on and they said they'd get me right in as soon as I signed in. They did. I was worried about the baby since I have been so sick, but we got to listen to a really strong heart beat. That was a good feeling. I'm 10 weeks, and with my other two babies I was almost on the cusp of starting to feel better at this point, but I just keep feeling worse and worse. They told me if I was still throwing up by that night I needed to get in to the hospital.

So that night when I thought I had reached the end of my rope, Riley called Mitch to come over and help give me a blessing. I am so grateful for that. It helped me have a sense of calm that everything would be ok. After throwing up again for the millionth time, Riley decided we should go to the hospital. We put the kids to bed, and Riley had his mother come over to sit with the kids while we were gone. I was so thankful for that, at least I knew while I was gone the kids would be sleeping and ok.

I was so worried about having to wait in the ER for a long time and that I would throw up while I was there (that seems to be a reoccurring theme for me). Luckily it was a slow night and we didn't have to wait long at all. I was checked in and back in a little room in no time at all. Another blessing right there. I was pretty out of it by this point and was glad to just have someone take care of me and make me better. It sounds like such a childish thing, but I finally felt like I would be getting some comfort and relief. I had the best nurses take care of me who were so kind and careful they should have had halos.

I was so dehydrated they had trouble getting a vein they could put my iv in, but the nurse tried to be really thorough so she wouldn't have to poke me again. As soon as those liquids started pumping through my veins and they gave me a shot of medication, I could tell a huge difference. I started to feel alive again - literally. Unluckily for me, my arm with the IV was starting to swell so they had to change it over to my other arm and poke me again. Not fun, but the nurse said my veins looked better by that point so it was a little easier. My heart rate and blood pressure were pretty low so they had another nurse come in and do an EKG. They monitored that for a while, and by the time my fluids from my iv were almost done it looked a lot better. We got home around 2:00 in the morning and I was able to rest for the first time in days. Riley got Kendle off to school and my mother was able to arrange things at work so that she could come up and spend the day with me and help with things.

Since times like these can be discouraging, I'm trying to look at some of the good things that come from having trials in our life. I know this will pass in a few months and I will be feeling good. I know that by December 7th, we'll have a wonderful little baby added to our family and this will all have been worth it. I've learned to accept help willingly when it is offered (and I'm utterly overwhelmed by the thoughtful deeds and service I've received). I've learned that my husband is the best person to have fighting in my corner and that he'll always have my back and best interests at heart. I've learned that I am stronger than I give myself credit for most of the time.

I'm hoping next week will be a much better week. Say a little prayer for me.

7 comments:

Julie said...

Oh Sarah I totally feel for you!!! But I bet you are glad you went to the ER, I know I always did. Please please please call me if you ever want or need something but don't want to go and get it!

Kris said...

This week has been brutal for you. I'm so glad that you have Riley on your side to fight all the insurance issues. I hope you get that figured out soon! You are one strong lady. Hang in there!

PROUD MOMMY said...

Someone once told me, that you know you've picked a good guy when you realize there is no one else you'd rather have "down in the trenches" with you. Sure it's easy to say they're a good guy when it's all roses. But adversity is very telling. And I think both of you are amazing!

I going to pray "extra hard" :) for you! Take Care.
And have Riley call us...anytime for anything...I mean it!

Anonymous said...

Yep, you have my deepest sympathies. I have had my fair share of throwing up at the dr.'s office and time being re-hydrated with needles. So not fun. I hope with all my heart the next few weeks will bring you relief. We love you. Hang in there...

tharker said...

I'm sorry this week was so awful! But I'm so glad you were able to hear your little baby's heartbeat!

I am praying for you that you turn the corner very soon, and are feeling so much better within the next couple of weeks.

PDX Toveys said...

I agree with Proud mommy, adversity is very telling. I'm glad you have a great husband, family and friends to support you during this time. We wish we were closer. You are in our thoughts and prayers. We love you and hope this difficult time will soon be a distant memory! Please give our love to Riley and the kids!
-Molly

Lisa said...

I'm so sorry you are feeling so sick- I can't imagine trying to do it while taking care of a toddler, house, etc.
I admit I'm not really good at helping out without being asked. So please if you need anything call me!
Take care and hope you feel better soon.