Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




November 24, 2009

Short Update

I can't believe it's been a week already since these babies were born. Time has all of a sudden kicked back into high gear instead of crawling along like it had for the previous months. Here is what we are up to at the Dodson household:

*Feeding's x 2
So far both babies are good eaters. Kale likes to take his time, he will fall asleep half way through if we don't prod him along a little. Cooper gets down to business and is the faster eater. When he hears that bottle coming he doesn't waste any time trying to attack it. One thing is for sure, these guys wake up hungry and are ready to chow.

*Diaper changes x 2
I know some baby boys like to let loose the minute you take off their diaper (Morgan got me once or twice), but this is like nothing I've ever seen before. Riley and I have learned to be super fast at the risk of getting soaked and/or having to do multiple outfit changes for the boys. We are developing cat like reflexes.

*Getting up at night
Riley and I each take charge of one baby and get up with them during the night. So far this has worked well for us. Then there is no confusion about who changed who last, how much each baby ate last, etc. We still keep a little chart on the fridge (like the ones at the hospital) to write down when each baby had their last feeding. This helps us feel somewhat "organized"? The babies are on a pretty regular schedule so far and usually one wakes up a little bit after the other so it isn't too crazy at one time.

*Feeling super duper tired
So far I think we have lucked out that both boys are sleeping good, Riley and I are just having trouble getting back to sleep after we've been up with them at night. It helps that they are so darn cute and that they go back to sleep fairly well. I wish I was one of those people that could pass out the second their heads hit the pillow. Riley had to go back to work this week, and I know he is feeling it. I feel like I've accomplished a lot if I just get the basic things done around the house during the day.

*Telling the boys apart
We have had so many people ask us if they are identical. I know it might be hard for everyone to see their differences for a while, but Riley and I are getting pretty good at telling them apart at a quick glance. It was tough for a day or so after we brought them home, but they are starting to have their own little looks and personality traits now that help. Plus, like I told someone the other day - when you are their mom and dad you just know.

*The good stuff
Snuggling and rocking these two little guys is like having a little piece of heaven in our home. It's hard for me to pass their room without tip-toeing in to take a little peek at them sleeping soundly in their crib together. I still feel such a sense of wonderment that they are here with our family. It just doesn't seem real at times. I love when they open their little eyes to look around and when they stare up at me when I'm holding them. Life is good.

I will try and post some more pictures soon and do a post about the boys' birth and our hospital stay.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 days from now, I hope to be snuggling one of those babies! Hopefully, you guys can get some R&R over the holiday weekend with plenty of us family around to help. Can't wait!!!

Cajsa said...

Sarah, hope you don't mind that I check out your blog, but I just can't help being so excited for you. They are beautiful. Congrats. BTW I love the music you have on your blog!

tharker said...

They sound like fantastic babies already! I hope you are feeling well and I can't wait to see more pictures of the little guys...after you take a nap!

Kris said...

Love hearing an update from you. You are doing a fantastic job with those little ones. Hope you can get some rest this weekend and catch up on some sleep.

Anonymous said...

the older your kids get, the more i think you appreciate those sweet, cuddly babies :)

::lindsay said...

I love that you took the time to give us an update. I've been wondering how you guys have been. I'm so excited to see these babies in person! Get rest when you can!

Heather said...

I can't wait to see them! You and Riley sound like quite the tag team. Way to go!

Katie said...

Sarah! You are super mom! I cant believe you had 16 pounds of baby in you! You're my hero. Seriously.