Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




May 29, 2007

Who could do this?

I read this article this morning and it made me so sad. I have total disgust for people who live in our country and enjoy all of the hard-won freedoms and benefits of life we have here, and yet continue to promote hate and disdain for our country and the people who have served bravely for it. I looked out the window at our flag we have hanging outside, blowing softly in the breeze, and it's one of the most beautiful things I could look at early in the morning.




Flags Replaced With Swastikas in Wash.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 1:54 AM EDTThe Associated Press

ORCAS ISLAND, Wash. (AP) — Vandals burned dozens of small American flags that decorated veterans' graves for Memorial Day and replaced many of them with hand-drawn swastikas, authorities said Monday.
Forty-six flag standards were found empty and another 33 flags were in charred tatters Sunday in the cemetery, authorities said. Swastikas drawn on paper appeared where 14 of the flags had been.
Members of the American Legion on this island off Washington's northwest coast replaced the burned flags with new ones Sunday afternoon.
The vandals struck again on Memorial Day after a guard left at dawn, the San Juan County sheriff's office said. This time, the vandals left 33 of the hand-drawn swastikas.
"This is not an act of free speech. This is a crime," Sheriff Bill Cumming said in a statement released Monday afternoon.
Investigators believe there's more than one culprit, based on the number of flags that were vandalized, Cumming said in a telephone interview. But authorities have no suspects, he said.
The sheriff said deputies were trying to lift fingerprints off what little physical evidence they were able to recover.

6 comments:

Kris said...

Sarah, I don't know what else to do besides gape at this picture. It makes me so frustrated that people don't respect our country. I love celebrating our country's freedom and to see other's disrespect it, just makes me sick! Hopefully they can find the person!

Anonymous said...

I'm speechless...

Tallia said...

I feel bad enough when I forget to put our flag out for holidays, but looking at that picture makes me disgusted. Some people just don't get it...we are so lucky to live here!

hatch said...

This is so horrible. I am completely disgusted by people who do this kind of thing. I love our flag and I am proud of my country. This just makes me sick.

meohmyers said...

Wow. That's really awful! Horrible! There are a lot of ungrateful people out there but sounds like these vandals were at the top of the ignorance chart. Get a clue people! Respect your freedom!

Marilyn said...

That is stomach churning!