Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




October 8, 2007

Letting it all go, and picking it back up.

Sometimes I start to feel kind of dowdy. Mundane. Boring. Sloppy. Blah. Kind of like I'm lettin it all go. When you are a stay at home mom, there are days when you can barely get out of the house into the free world to make some sort of human contact, so why bother doing your hair or wearing something cute? My uniform consists of jeans, t-shirt with a zip-up hoodie over it sometimes, tennis shoes and pony tail. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? It gets to the point sometimes where I only style my hair and wear makeup once or twice a week. I always swore I would never be one of those moms who let themselves go and wore "mom" jeans. I asked Riley the other day, "Do these jeans look like mom jeans?" He gave them the once over and said no they didn't, (lucky for him). I could say that when I was younger there was probably a little vanity there, I never went anywhere without looking put together. Now I can honestly say that most of the time I just don't care. Why is that I wonder?

And I have to just mention, I think there is a huge clothing market missing out there for the in-betweener's. You don't want to look like you're trying to be 16, but you don't want to wear what your mother is wearing (No offense mom, you look great). Case in point, I love American Eagle, but every time I go in their store I feel like they look at me like, "Lady you and your stroller are bringing our coolness factor way down".

What brought this whole blog post on though, was that this morning when I picked up Kendle from morning kindergarten, I saw something really sad. I won't tell you what the person was wearing, but it made me feel bad for them. As I got in the car to head home I thought about myself and what my feel-good ratio is these days. So I'm trying hard to remember that it's important to take care of myself and feel good about doing it. My biggest excuse is that I don't have enough time anymore, but I'm working on that. It's not vanity or being selfish, it's taking pride in yourself and who you are. We are hardworking moms and we're worth it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah sometimes as SAHM's we don't get out of our grubbies enough or put make-up on but it only makes the times that we do do it all the more special. plus it's good for us to feel beautiful(or at least comfortable) in t-shirts and no make-up.(looks like i'm back to where i started!) we sure save money on make-up and clothes! here's to letting it all go and picking it back up!

tharker said...

I know that people might think I am kind of ridiculous for having hair and makeup done every day. But here's my thing. Yes, a little bit of it has to do with my own sense of vanity, but more than anything, I love how I feel about myself when I am up early and ready to go for the day. When I am "put together", I feel like I'm ready to do anything, and I just feel all around good.

You are hardworking, and it is absoulutely worth it to feel great EVERYDAY!!!

Totally agree with what you said about "in between" shopping. I know that I'm probably too old to be shopping the Mossimo Black section at Target, (or dare I say, Exhilaration?) but no way am I going over to the Cherokee side!!!

PDX Toveys said...

C'mon Sarah...was it spandex or what?? Got know....there are some, lets just say, larger women that work in the office and they wear the highest heels possible. 2 months ago one of these ladies slipped and sprained her knee really bad. Some people just don't get it.

BTW - You look great....and I don't have to say that just cause I'm your brother, or maybe I do....haha

Can you believe the Beavs won?

Peace!

Kris said...

Sarah, I'm right there with you! If I committed to what I was wearing right now, I'm sure you'd all gasp! So I won't, but I agree that I do feel a TON better when I am put together! It makes a huge difference. Funny question that you asked Riley about the Mom Jeans. Lucky guy passed! I also don't think it's a bad thing to just sit around in comfy clothes once in awhile! But this got me thinking. I'm headed off to the shower........

Marilyn said...

I can totally relate to this post, and I need to work on putting myself together more, even if I am only seeing my family.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Sarah, you just described how I feel every day (just about). I have comitted to doing my make-up every day (and 95% of the time I do), and I plan on doing my hair everyday, but it seems like I seem to run out of time on that one and ponytail it is!

I have never seen you wear "mom" jeans, by the way.

New million dollar idea for sure: clothing line for the "in-betweens". What is the appropriate store to shop at for the mid-20 to mid-40 range? There is no such store, I don't think.

I love your blog, Sarah. I look forward to your thoughts, because a lot of times they contain things I think about too and it's nice to hear it from someone else!

dandee said...

"bringing our coolness factor way down" had me laughing out loud! That's exactly how I feel when I walk in that store. Too funny!

Everytime I see you I think how gorgeous you are. You are one of those people who look great even when your hair is up and you in jeans and a t-shirt.

I apologize for my appearance tonight at Wal-Mart. I'm sure my disheveled appreance reminded you of this post.

Sarah said...

Everyones comments had me laughing. Isn't it great we can see humor in almost everything and make fun of ourselves a bit?

Jer-you crack me up. Ya, you kinda do have an obligation to tell your little sis how great she looks. HA! Glad the Beavers won, so that means at least they won't come in last place. :) How about Stanford upsetting USC?!!!!

Danyelle- You did not look dishevleled at all. In fact I was thinking - wow. She just had a baby a few days ago and she's already shopping at Walmart with her family. She looks great!

Heather said...

Hey- today was a day where I splashed up the outfit today with a few accesories. I'm feeling good!!

::lindsay said...

Loved this post! Tiffani and I talk about this all the time. There really is a market missing for people are age. Loved the "bringing the coolness factor down" comment because I feel like that every time I walk into there. One time I came in pushing my stroller and the girl asked, "Can I help you Ma'am?" Seriously?! When did I get old enough to be called ma'am?

hatch said...

I know exactly how you feel. Trust me I have many of those days. The one thing that I have noticed is when I am put together I feel so much better about myself and life in general. You make me laugh "bringing the coolness factor down"

PDX Toveys said...

I really like the Ann Taylor 'Loft' store. The best time to shop is towards the end of their seasons when their stuff is way marked down. I also know how you feel. I usually feel better about myself when I go to the gym because it's an excuse to get out of the house and get a break from the kids!