Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




October 21, 2007

Well, we made it this far

I've been biding my time. I knew it could happen any day. Just waiting for that moment when we would have to make that fateful trip to the ER. Well, I'm happy to say we were lucky enough to have made it five years without such an event. Our lucky streak ended Saturday night at my sister's volleyball game when a horrifying scream cut through the noise of the crowd. I look down to see blood gushing down Kendle's face and see the horrible expression she had. I'm sure a lot of you other mom's have had this same experience (Debbie). I went into panic mode. I swear when that adrenaline kicks in, it's like super-hero mom takes over, running down the bleachers to swoop her up and carry her out of the gym, except for my brain turned to mush and all I could think about was the blood coming out of her head. We couldn't really get a good look at the wound because of the blood. So with grandma Tovey driving, off we sped for the hospital (on senior parent night to boot, sorry mom). After waiting FOREVER we finally were taken into the little curtained partitioned areas to wait for the doctor and that was the first time we had some bright lighting to get a good look at it. Yikes! We think what happened was that she had been playing under the bleachers (ya, I'm the worst mom not even keeping on eye on my kid at the game) and she tripped and fell against one of the metal bars which must have had a bolt or screw sticking out of it and it went through her temple making kind of a jagged round hole. The doctor was pretty shocked and asked how it happened, and I felt even more guilty that I really didn't know because I wasn't watching her. He said he'd have to stitch her up, so the nurse cleaned it all out, the doctor numbed it up with a couple of shots (which was the worst part to watch) and Kendle just gripped my hand and I felt so bad watching the little tears slip down her face as she tried to be so brave and quiet. I held her little hand as the doctor put her stitches in and I knew she was scared and I had to just keep reassuring her everything would be alright. It is the worst feeling to watch your child be in pain and be scared. But true to Kendle's character, she was the bravest little girl I've ever seen. She didn't scream, or fight, or make a fuss and kept everyone entertained with her curiosity about everything medical and asked lots of questions since she wants to be a doctor some day.


















My mother had been promising Kendle that we would go get her a milkshake after her stitches were done, so we left the hospital and drove through McDonald's to get a shake. We didn't get back to my parents' house until about eleven at night and my dad had been watching Morgan for the last three hours or so for me. I decided we should just stay the night since I was too exhausted to make the drive home. The next morning we got up early and made our way back to Pasco so we could hurry and get ready for church. Kendle took a four hour nap yesterday afternoon after we got home. What a weekend.



So I'm hoping we don't have any more accidents for a while, but that's not very likely.

I also forgot to mention it's my brother Richard's birthday today! How old are you Rich? I've lost count!!! Happy Birthday to a great brother!

12 comments:

Marilyn said...

Poor Kendle! Hopefully she won't need to visit the ER for a long time.

tharker said...

I'm so amazed at how brave she was. What a tough kid! Hopefully it will be at least another 5 years before you have to head back to the ER.

Kris said...

What a traumatizing experience! For mom, too! Just reading how you had to watch Kendle get stitched makes me sad! I'm glad she is such a tough little thing! She seemed great at church yesterday, which is awesome! She's a cutie even with stitches in her head!

Anonymous said...

hey, saw kendle this morning at school. i brought up her battle with the bleachers bandaid and she just smiled proudly. if that's what her head looks like you can only imagine the damage she did to that poor screw!

::lindsay said...

Oh, so sad! She was definitely a brave little girl. What a crazy weekend for you though!

PRP said...

Yikes! SHe is a tough kid! I'd have never guessed anything was wrong from watching her at church yesterday. She seemed perfect!

meohmyers said...

Oh poor girl! The scar will just add character - like she needs any, right? Brave girl!

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

You are a much braver mom than me - whenever possible I make Richard be the guy watching the shots and stitches! Turns out I'm not so great in emergency situations...

I'm so proud of how brave she was! Give her hugs and kisses for us!

By the way, Rich is 33 today. Old man.

Deb

Unknown said...

Kendle was so brave. What a little sweetie heart. Sarah, you did great too! I got a little woosey though.

Sarah said...

Thanks mom.

PDX Toveys said...

We're glad Kendle is OK. She is a brave girl. I bet the nurses and doctor were impressed.

The Garden Maiden said...

What a brave little girl. I had that sick feeling in my stomach the whole time I was reading this. We had more trips to the ER for Marshall's injuries then I can count. They knew him on a first name basis, no joke. I hope you never have to go through this again, but unfortunately unless you keep your kids in a plastic bubble it is inevitable.