
There have been times since Kendle was born, that I have had to seriously ask myself why I of all people was given this particular little girl to mother. From a very young age her persona was that of a stubborn, strong willed, hilarious little girl. She has always acted so much older than she really is, not because she wants to do what all of the older kids are doing, but because her little mind goes a million miles a minute. Before she was even two years old, I could hold real conversations with her and this has often led me to forget to treat her age appropriately and not hold her to a higher standard of someone twice her age. She GETS things. Sometimes it's really exhausting for me to deal with her endless questions and curiosity. She has always done everything early. Walked,talked,potty trained - you name it. I'm not saying this to brag at all. It's just a part of who she is. So why should it come as any surprise to me to find out that she is already boy crazy and kind of has a little boyfriend. We'll call him "B."
"B" made her a snowflake during their craft time in kindergarten last week. She kept admiring it all afternoon and then decided to make him a little card in return. It said "I like you, do you like me?". So I told her that I didn't want her giving it to him and a huge battle ensued. Yesterday she came home from school and was sad because "B" had not been there. Last night she kept buggging me to paint her fingernails (which I very rarely allow) and then after Riley tucked her into bed she mentioned to him, "B will just think my fingernails look so pretty". Seriously, I did not expect to be having these issues until she was a middle schooler at least. I've tried to talk with her and tell her that little boys and girls need to only be friends and that she should focus more time on playing with her girl friends at recess. Now with Valentine's Day coming up, I'm just afraid she's going to go overboard with the whole "I like B" thing. This little girl is seriously going to make me go gray before my time, and I can tell it's going to be a long bumpy road ahead.


12 comments:
Sara, I enjoyed your comment so much on Nancie's I just had to check you out. As for your daughter. Soon "B" will be just another letter in the alphabet. Trust me. Its when she gets to "Z" is when you need to worry.
Jan-
Thanks for the comment. It gave me good chuckle. I can use all of the advice from other mom's that I can get!
totally normal sarah. i was surprised to go thru the same thing with em. only em's little man brought her a gift(little purse with hairbows and rings in it). even had invited her to his birthday party and wanted the inside of his cake to be pink cause that was em's fav. color. it's sweet and innocent for now. it can even change each new school year. as they get older they just wanna beat the guys at everything and show them what they're made of...not so sugary and spicey!
Sarah, Kendle is an AMAZING child, and I totally understand that she is a handful. I really think this is pretty normal, for girls. All of my girls have had boys that they called their boyfriend, even starting as early as preschool.
Even Ethan has a pair of twin girls from our ward that he thinks are the greatest ever.
I wouldn't be worried about the boy thing. At all. Although, as a mom, it is hard not to sorry sometimes. It's just our nature.
Oops! That was supposed to say "it is hard not to WORRY sometimes"
Such fun, isn't it? Hopefully it will just ride out on it's own. And I agree, it's totally normal. Spence has a girl in his class that he blushes around so I think it comes either way...
Fun times!!
I can't wait til Sydnee gets interested in boys. Haha! Ok, maybe I'm not that excited, but I think it's cute. Kendle is just being so her. Parenting is hard, and I can't wait to see your gray hair! :) Good Luck with Valentine's Day!
I agree with the others--it's totally normal and I'm sure it will pass. Parenting can be so hard sometimes. I don't know about you, but just when I feel I've got it under control, something else gets thrown my way.
Sara- I am so sad to hear that she has replaced D with B!
Kendle is one fun girl!
Last year, Hannah informed me that she thought she was in love with "N". And she was pretty sure that he loved her too. I asked her what made her think this, to which she replied, "Oh, he's always asking me to do stuff for him like getting his papers, and picking up his pencils and stuff." How do you tell your child that they are being used as a SLAVE instead of loved? It was rather hilarious to me. Anyway, she continued to like him throughout the year, and after talking to his mom, I found out that he indeed have a little crush on her too. Thankfully, it took care of itself, and now they are "just friends". Thank the heavens.
At least you never lack for entertainment around your house!
Post a Comment