Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




February 5, 2008

A long but very worthwhile trip

This last Sunday our family was lucky enough to be able to attend my new neice's blessing. We left Friday afternoon to travel a good eight hours, half of it in the pounding rain, to be with our family for the occasion. We managed to only stop one time on the way down and it really wasn't that bad of a trip. The kiddies were excellent in the car and didn't make a fuss. We stayed in North Bend,OR which is about half an hour from Coquille where my brother and his family live. Saturday we were able to head to Coquille and see baby Moira and catch up on some visiting. She is such a doll and just a little cuddle bug. It was hard for me to give her up for someone else to hold, especially as I was watching my little man crawling around like a speedracer and wondering where in the heck MY little baby went.

That night we headed to Rich and Deb's ward building for a family dinner and to let the kids run around with their cousins in the gym. Kendle is one lucky little girl to have such fun cousins her age and they really are good little friends. The highlight of their night was finding a wheelchair and racing up and down the hall in it. Those crazy rascals.

*Side note*: Did I mention that it did not stop raining the entire time we were in southern Oregon? Not just sprinkling, pouring down buckets! The bottom of Kendle's pants were constantly soaked. And no one wears rain gear there. My sister-in-law told me that's how they pick out the tourists.

Sunday morning we arrived at the church and sat with our family, and as I looked around at everyone seated together I realized how important my family is to me. As I listened to my brother give a beautiful blessing for his daughter, and witnessed my husband and the other men in our family gather around that precious new being I wanted to lock that memory away in my memory safe. Not to be cheesy, but the line "I always want to be, with my own family" from "Families Can Be Together Forever", kept running through my mind and I couldn't be more thankful for the good people who surround me in my life. My grandfather got up and bore his testimony about just doing the simple things in life to be happy and just doing your best. It was a good sacrament meeting. Check out this picture of little Moira in her white dress from Debbie's blog:









Afterwards we headed back to Rich and Deb's to change clothes and grab a quick bite to eat before we hit the road again. It's hard to say goodbye to those guys because they live so far away and we never know when we are going to get to see them again. I'm crossing my fingers that a location closer to us is in need of a new district attorney soon. My little sis rode home with us, so that was a nice change to have someone else to help keep the little ones entertained and side with me on what music to listen too. We were all very tired and the ride home seemed like it took forever. When we came over the hill into Kennewick I told Riley that I think we really do live in one of the best places in the world. Our little slice of heaven might not look like much to many other people, but to us there's no where else we'd rather be. It's good to be home.

Oh yeah, and it rained today. Afterwards though there was the most beautiful rainbow...............

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you were able to see your family...sometimes those quick trips can make you miss them even more! i saw that rainbow too, it was touching down in two spots. i know what you mean about driving over the hill and seeing home. she ain't the prettiest but we love the tri-cities people(and surrounding areas!:) however, when the wind starts to blow my car off the road and we're dodging car sized tumbleweeds, i'm tempted to turn around! :)

PRP said...

Glad you had such a fun trip. We always have to travel to see family too so I can relate.

The picture of Moira is adorable!

tharker said...

I don't think it's cheesy at all that the words to that song kept running through your head. When it comes down to it, "our own family" is really all that matters.

I'm glad that you guys were able to go. That little baby girl is so beautiful. What a great day!

Kris said...

That is one beautiful baby! I would have a hard time giving her up too! I don't miss OR for that reason of the rain! It NEVER stops. I remember going down there for an interview that Jack had, and it rained for the 2 days we were there. We love the Tri-Cities too, and enjoy our visits to OR. This was a really nice post Sarah. I'm glad you guys were safe and had a fun trip!

Marilyn said...

Sarah, I was just telling Brandon the other day, how blessed I feel to live in this area, and near the beautiful Columbia River.

I'm so glad that you were able to see family and be there for the blessing, but we missed you at the luncheon.

hatch said...

She is a beautiful baby!! I am glad that you were able to go. I love it when my kids get to play with thier cousins. Cousins make the best friends. I agree with you. This is the best place to live.

Heather said...

Cute girl.... those long trips are annoying but SO fun. Weird, huh!

Nancie said...

We did miss you at the luncheon.
Glad you're home. Glad your weekend was fun. Glad to live in Tri-cities too.

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

Thank you again for making the trip to the rain-mecca that is the Southern Oregon Coast. We don't expect to see the sun again until June or so... We miss you SOOO much!!! We love having family come but it's always so hard to see ya'll leave! I think Moira is missing being held 24/7 as well.

Love,
Deb