It's titled "Nick of Time" and is written by New York Times Bestselling Author Ted Bell. "In the grand tradition of epic novels like Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island comes a wondrous tale of time travel, adventure, and riches, in which twelve-year-old Nick McIver sets out to become the hero of his own life." -quote from the inside flap of the book. I love that last phrase: to become the hero of his own life.

If you have a boy (or girl, but I think boys would enjoy it more) run, don't walk and go get this book. It had so many great lessons that are not emphasized much in our society anymore, such as courage and bravery, having integrity, and doing what's right because that's what is required of you. The main character Nick is intelligent, trustworthy, and protective of his younger sister. One of my favorite things in this book is that when in danger, Nick will admit that he is scared but realizes he must press on and fight for what is right. There is a great quote in the book by Ralph Waldo Emerson that says: "A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer." I loved that! The setting for the story is England, 1939, just on the brink of WWII starting. Nick and his family live in a lighthouse on a tiny island in the English channel and without giving too much away here are some things this story entails:
-Pirates
-Time travel
-Nazi's and submarines
-A secret treasure
-Technology
-History
-Heroism
-Swashbuckling
-Secret Weapons
Are you intrigued yet? Also, I love when books provide a map for the readers to visualize where everything is taking place, and in the front and back covers of the book there is a very good one. That is always a bonus for me. If you loved the Harry Potter series, I think you will really like this book as well. It left me with a great feeling, and I think it will be a favorite for my own children in years to come.


8 comments:
I'm intrigued. Would Carson like it as well, or is he still too young?
Thanks, Sarah! I can't wait to let Brady read it! Perfect for summer!
Lindsay-
I think Carson would like it, maybe as a read aloud book before bed or something. Most of it is pretty easy to understand, but there is a lot of sailing and boat vocabulary you might have to explain. I just got done reading Treasure Island with Kendle, so I think she might like this one as well.
Yea, another good book recommendation by Sarah. This does sound great. I'll have to look into this for Tyler too! Thanks!
This looks really good Sarah. Thanks for the recommendation!
that looks awesome. Cam would prob love it...when he gets a little older?
Sounds like a great book. But somehow I don't think my daughters would go for it...you didn't mention any fairies, or princesses.
I, on the other hand, might give it a try :)
Hi Lisa-
Welcome to my blog. Your comment made me laugh, I wish my daughter was into fairies and princesses a bit more sometimes!
Post a Comment