Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




October 20, 2009

Family History

"In all of us there is a hunger, marrow-deep, to know our heritage, to know who we are and where we came from." -Alex Haley


I've been thinking a lot about family lately. I LOVE my family and extended family and am proud of my heritage. I'm beginning to learn more and more about both sides of my family and it is all because of the people who kept journals, pictures, and records. There are so many interesting stories. I hope that one day, the things I have written about through my blog will be of equal interest to my children and grandchildren, even the mundane every day details of my life. I hope my stories will make me come alive in their minds, so that I am not just a picture hanging on a lonely wall somewhere years from now.

This is a picture of my great grandparents on my father's side, Lester and Edith Tovey. Edith was a tiny little woman and had 14 children, the youngest two being twins. (Twins run on both sides of my family.) They lived in Malad, ID.



































I saw this quote of my great grandmother's on my aunt's facebook page and I can't get it out of my mind. I love it. I think I need to hang it in our home where I can read it every day:

"If there is righteousness in the heart, beauty in the character, harmony in the home, and order in the nation, then there can be peace in the world." -Edith Tovey

I think that pretty much sums it up.


A year or two ago a member of our family posted this picture on our family website of Edith when she was a little girl. I love the big bow in her hair and her big dark eyes. She looks like such a charming little girl. There were remarks about the resemblance between her and Kendle, and I can see a little of myself as well.




























There is not so much space separating the links in our family chain as we might think.

"Family faces are like magic mirrors. Looking at people who belong to us, we see the past, present, and future." -Gail Lumet Buckley

5 comments:

tharker said...

What a great thing for your kids to be able to see these pictures and hear their ancestors' stories. And yes, she does look very much like Kendle!

Anonymous said...

There definitely is a family resemblence there, isn't there? Wow.

Anonymous said...

edith looks like you and morgan i think. what a sweet picture. i love pictures of my parents and grandparents as children. my grandma gave me an outfit that was my dad's as a baby...special treasures :)

Nancie said...

i love the tovey family too. they are special to ours.
Kendal totally looks like Edith! crazy.

Heather said...

Wow, I love this post... and that quote! So profound, so true.