Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




July 11, 2010

Sunday's

It's finally quiet in our house and I have a moment of peace to myself. The kitchen's clean, the toys are picked up, and all the little ones are tucked snugly into their beds for the night. I'm letting out a big sigh and shaking off the weight of another day conquered. Sunday's are usually really hard days for me. They start really early (as most days do around here unfortunately, but on Sundays there's no chance of catching a few more winks after the babies early morning feedings.) Church is at 8:30 and if I'm being honest, it takes everything in me to have a good attitude while I'm racing around trying to get everyone ready and out the door and we usually still have to end up sitting in the back overflow seats once we arrive - 1.) because we usually get there 1 minute before church starts, and 2.) because if I'm being practical, it just isn't easy to fit two car seats and baby stuff into the bench seats. The kids fight on the way to church, my diaper bag weighs 20 pounds, I never have time to eat breakfast.....yada, yada the list goes on. I always start getting as much as I can ready the night before so I am prepared (you know Saturday is a special day it's the day we get ready for Sunday) everyone is bathed and clothes are laid out for the morning, diaper bag packed, I even do my hair (yes people, for all those wondering, that is the only way I have time to style my hair for Sunday mornings) - yet it is still so crazy and chaotic and I feel exhausted before we even leave the house. I am always so tired after church and just want to come home and sleep if I am lucky enough to catch a nap.

This morning however, I wanted to prove myself wrong that I could enjoy my day. I did not want to stress about the little things and make myself miserable. I told myself the night before as I was going to bed that today was going to be a good day and I would embrace the early church time. [ To be fair, I really have a love hate relationship with the 8:30 time. It's horrible getting there, but I LOVE that we are home before noon. It is a wonderful schedule during the warm summer months especially. I'll just say it has been mighty hard to get going that early some days when we've been up all night with the babies and not gotten any sleep.] Thankfully the babies slept good all night and woke up at 6:00 to be fed. That worked out great as I needed to be up and start getting ready by 6:30 anyways. By 6:30 they were back asleep and I had time to start getting ready and get everyone up and going. Everyone had a good attitude and we were ready in good time. The babies were great during church. They hardly fussed at all. I didn't let Morgan's rolling around on the floor or 20 bathroom breaks get to me. During relief society a good friend held and fed Kale for me so I could listen to the wonderful lesson (everyone needs a friend like Natallie, she's a gem). I felt spiritually fed. I was able to feel so much happiness for a friend who recently adopted a beautiful baby boy and see the joy in her eyes. I didn't feel exhausted when I gathered up all my children and exited the building to head home. It was good. I had all the energy I required to do the things I needed to do the whole day.

The ironic thing? We found out today that we will be changing to a new building and church time of 11:00 (even if temporarily) starting next week. I guess the jokes on me. Just when I was starting to embrace the early time (and it only took me seven months). I don't know why, but I keep thinking of the movie "Holes", a family favorite of ours, when they keep telling the boys that digging all those holes builds character, and they won't learn their lesson if someone else digs their holes for them.

I feel like I've been digging lots of holes lately..................

7 comments:

Heather said...

I also have a love/hate with early church! Can't wait to pass you in the halls- we'll actually get to SEE each other once in a while.

Anonymous said...

i completely agree sarah w/ so much you've said. in fact, i didn't even have time to do my hair saturday night so it was a pony tail day! :) i was really getting the hang of 830 church...big bummer. you know sarah, when i see you w/ your boys i think, when does sarah get a break? most mom's can pass off their one baby to their husband to get a momentary break but you can't, he's already got a baby of his own. i'm happy to do it and so glad to hear it made a small difference. on to the next hole sarah, we'll take turns digging! :)

tharker said...

I love this post so much Sarah. (and i think i love natalie's comment almost as much!)

It will be fun to see ya in the halls!!

Anonymous said...

Is it Lionel Ritchie who sings that song about "Easy Like Sunday Mornings"? I'll tell you one thing: he is NOT a Mormon mom! Honestly, most Sunday mornings are the bane of my existence...

Cajsa said...

And you still made me dinner?! You are so great! I went to church with my hair up and wet. It's going to take awhile for me to get used to getting a baby ready...not sure how your do it with two! Although, if I did my hair the night before it would be a huge rats nest! Anyway...you always look great and your kids look great too. YAY for 11:00 CHURCH but I'm kind of bummed we won't be home before noon now.

Sarah said...

Cajsa, I loved bringing you dinner! No worries there. I love doing that for new mommies. :) And you had a very good reason for not having time to do your hair! You still looked great with that new mom glow.

Kris said...

Sounds like I missed out on a very special Sunday. Sarah, your posts always inspire me and help me know that I'm not alone in my life as a mom. You are amazing, and I love that you keep everything real. 11 a.m. church? I'm still in shock about all of this, espeically since I had no one tell me! Thanks for the post. Can't wait to come home and see everyone. Cajsa, I'm dying to hold Jason!