Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




August 26, 2010

Hard Week


Well, here I am with the beginning of school just around the corner. I have so many things I need to blog about, but the days just keep passing by without the motivation to do it. I've been going through the motions of back to school prep. Cleaning out kids rooms - check. Yard sale - check. School supplies - check. Trying to get our calendar of activities and commitments organized - check.

But through it all I've had a little lump in my throat and a little drag in my step. Last Saturday one of my nearest and dearest friends and her family packed up the last of their belongings and headed off to start a new life in a new town. As I looked at her empty home void of furniture and pictures on the walls it finally became real that they were really truly moving on. I watched their U-Haul drive away down the street and wiped the tears from my eyes. We have shared so many good times together and also shared the hard times too. Camping trips, girls nights, play dates at the park, backyard barbecue's, church functions, sporting events, long phone conversations, babies, morning sickness........all things that I will fondly remember (well not the morning sickness, ha). Kristen was one of my first friends I made after moving here almost five years ago. Kristen's home was always a place of laughter and fun and noisy kids and love - everyone who entered was welcomed as a friend. I know it will be the same in their new town. I'm confident that they will find their niche and become a valuable part of their new community.

So if that wasn't bad enough, this week brought saying goodbye to another near and dear friend. Although Nan isn't moving as far away, I know Pasco will never be the same without her little family living on Park street. I can't imagine how weird it will be to see a new family living in their home. Nancie always has such a positive attitude about every situation, and her family's move is another stepping stone in their journey to get to the goals they have set. Nan is the best hostess, she will make you feel so welcome and like you have not inconvenienced her at all by stopping by for a visit no matter what she has going on. She throws the best parties and has a wonderful talent of making you feel like an old friend. I will miss all of our fun conversations, girls nights, date nights with our husbands, and her generous attitude. My only regret is that we didn't become close friends earlier in life. Nan is the type of person who blooms where she's planted - she is literally like a ray of sunshine when she walks in the room and I know she will be a huge blessing to the new people she meets although Pasco will be a little less sunny without her.

Tuesday night we went out for one last girls night before Nan moves on Saturday. It was weird to not have Kristen with us, and hard to come to terms that our group of six would now be whittled down to four. I know individually we all have other good friends, but the six of us have shared some great memories over the last few years that can never be replaced. We've had birthday brunches, monthly girls nights, and a few adventures thrown in the mix that we may or may not ever confess to. I never thought that I would meet some of my best friends when I was older during my child rearing years, but I am so glad that I have. I have truly been blessed.




Kristen and Nan - you will be missed more than you know.

12 comments:

Julie said...

Very cute group! I know it so hard to say goodbye to cherished friends. Both Kris and Nan are amazing woman and I 2nd everything you said about them!

Nancie said...

Sar,
this post made me cry. I swore that there would be none of that this move. You'll pay for that.
You wrote such nice things! I will be back so many weekends that you'll wish I'd moved farther away. Pasco will always be home to me. I love you all.

Anonymous said...

my pasco sisters....:( i'm in a fragile state sarah. for probably the next 60 years, don't forget that! we all had a place at that table, each in our own different way...

ps. title for post should read as follows. KRISTEN GET A TISSUE BOX!! :)

Anonymous said...

barg!! we forgot to wear stipes for nan's going away...and put toilet paper in our bras! next time then.

i'll miss how nan's eyes bulged and her hands got moving all over the place when she told a story. a story you would think could only come out of the mouth of a 70 year old man.

hatch said...

I have had that same lump in my throat this week too Sarah. Its to much change for me, makes me sad every time I think about it.
I know they both have great adventures ahead of them, but I still do not like that they have to go.

::lindsay said...

How very bittersweet. It's wonderful knowing that dear friends are moving on to something that is better for their families, but really is so hard to say goodbye. Those type of friendships don't come along everyday so I'm sure it's been a hard week indeed. Hang in there, Sarah!

Both Kristen and Nan are fantastic women and I wish them both the best!

tharker said...

Such a sweet post for two wonderful women! Being surrounded by women who know you through and through, and love you is such a blessing.

almond nuthouse said...

oh man, I was really trying to pretend it wasn't real and now you have to go and put reality right in my face and make me teary. You're in trouble sarah.:) Seriously, I feel the same way. I'm just so thankful that you guys took me in and allowed me to be part of the "group" over the past few years which gave me the chance to get to know both of them so much better than I would have otherwise. Maybe we need to have another "girls night" for crying it out! Love ya all!

Heather said...

That is a lot of change in one week. I'm just gonna agree with what everyone has said before rather than re-type it all. Two wonderful women who will be missed.

Kris said...

Sarah!!!! This is killing me. I am sitting here in my nasty/moldy apartment with tears! You have yet again made me cry. Why am I the last one to read this post??? Aaaaaah! This has been a hard week for me too. Reality has set in with how much I miss and treasure the good friends that I have in Pasco. You said too many great things about me, that I am embarrassed. Tuesday night was hard for me knowing you guys were having your last night with Nan. Thanks for this Sar. The B-Squad will always be remembered by me!

Kris said...

Nat, I have used more tissues in the last 2 weeks than I ever thought I could. My box has been by my side a lot. Oh man, the drive on Saturday. That killed me. How come Nan didn't wear stripes on Tuesday night? It's weird for me to see her in a plain shirt in the pictures you sent me! Ha!

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have these ladies in your life, Sarah. I know how much you loved these ladies.

But...at least we're closer now!