Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




November 10, 2010

Wednesday, my least favorite day of the week (and other ramblings)

Ok, so basically, the title of this post should say it all. I kind of loathe early release days and how it throws my usual schedule off kilter. Kendle comes home from school early and is very loud. She usually rings the doorbell 10 or 12 times even though I've told her repeatedly NOT to do it. This usually wakes up the babies from their naps earlier than  I would like and you know nothing gets us mom's ticked off more than having what little quiet time we get during the day cut short. Then it all just snowballs from there. It is always a weird day and feels EXTRA EXTRA long. Like right now it is only 3:30 and it feels like it should be at least 5:30.

Today has been one of those days where I was committed to being lazy and taking it easy. My shins have been hurting so I took a day off of running. {I might be pushing myself a little too hard, but I've shaved off another ten seconds on my timed mile and now I'm only 35 seconds away from my goal. That is crazy for me to believe that in the last two and a half months I have improved a 1:25 on my time. I know distance runners look at the over all time not just the short distance, but I guess I just wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. I want to try and reach my goal by Christmas. I think that will be a good present for myself.} I stayed in my pj's all morning and did Christmas shopping online. But I think having lazy days are overrated because my floor that desperately needs to be swept for the sixth time is driving me crazy and I just can't seem to relax with dishes needing to be done and sitting in the sink. So there you have it. I guess my need for order trumps my need to relax.

On another note though, I will mention that my baby gate I bought is the best ten bucks I've spent in a long time. I don't even mind throwing my leg over the side and climbing over it to get inside the kitchen because it has made my life so much easier. Now I'm not constantly picking up all the mixing bowls, sippy cups and kids plates and bowls that the twins would pull out fifty times a day.  Who knew such an otherwise boring purchase could make me so happy. The twins on the other hand hate it! They stand and shake it and cry when I am in there doing dishes or cooking. They look like little jail birds and it is quite the hilarious sight. Poor babies, but at least we won't have any more dish soap episodes any time soon.

It is crazy to see Cooper and Kale walking around the house. Kale has actually almost ran a few times. He really gets going and then has a hard time stopping. I love it though. They look so cute shuffling along with their little arms out for balance. They get more and more brave every day. I can't believe their birthday is fast approaching and then I will have 1 year old twins! I remember other parents of twins telling us that if we could just make it through that first year things would get so much better. I think that's pretty much true. I'm loving the stage they are in right now.  Never in my life have I felt like a year has past more quickly however. I feel cheated of not having better memories of when they were newborns. It makes me sad that those times have come and gone and the last of the Dodson babies are growing up. I haven't even thought of what to do for their birthday. I guess I need to start cracking on that!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will always dislike weds and I will always love them :) certainly my most hectic but they break up the monotony? And make me feel like I actually have more time in my day. Good job improving your time. It's so rewarding to do better than we've done the day before. I bet you are wishing you got your gate up sooner! :)

Kris said...

Nat, I'm still trying to figure out why you love Wed.? I hate them too! Especially since I have to wake up from my naps to pick up the kids at 1:30. I can just see you on the other side of the gate, laughing at those boys while they scream wanting in! So funny! It's 6:45 now. Maybe it's almost bedtime! Happy 4 day weekend!

::lindsay said...

OK, I started chuckling when I read that Kendle rings the doorbell a bunch of times because my kids do that EVERY Wednesday. And of course, it wakes Chloe up and I'm at the door hissing, "Knock it off! You only need to ring the bell once! Or better yet, a soft knock will do!"

I bet that gate is like a gift from the heavens. I'm sure you are able to do so much more!

I can't believe they are almost one either though. Man, it's crazy how time flies!

tharker said...

Your whole first paragraph describes every Wednesday of my life and exactly how I feel about it. Yesterday, Eva was alseep for an entire 30 minutes (she took a while falling asleep yesterday) before the kids came home...and then their chaos woke her up, and I'm sure you can guess how the rest of the afternoon went.

Anonymous said...

My Christmas present to you would be to fashion a doorbell cover for Wednesdays. Or maybe Kendle is old enough now that it's time she has her own house key to let herself in quietly? We did that for Zack for emergencies and he thought he was SO COOL! I safety pinned it inside his backpack so he wouldn't lose it and that worked pretty well...

Nancie said...

I miss those little squirts. maaaaaan it seems the last time i saw them they were 5 months!? where did the time go?

We have late start on friday (i hate the wednesdays too). its alright, i would like early out fridays tho.