Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




June 27, 2011

Before and After

I've been wanting to add some more pops of color throughout my home and this great summertime weather was the perfect excuse to do a little painting project over the weekend. I thought this little table I've had for a while could use some updating and would be the perfect piece to use a new accent color on. I purchased this little guy during what I like to call my "black" stage. Isn't he cute? He's the perfect size to fit into all the little nooks and corners I have in my house.
Before:



Nothing too bad, just kind of plain and tired looking.
After a couple coats of paint and a pretty new drawer pull, here is the new, improved, and much more fun table:





The picture definitely doesn't do it justice, it is a lot more of a vibrant blue/green and less of a turquoise in real life. The paint color I used is "Stained Glass" from Valspar and I used the paint plus primer so it covered really well. I bought a small can of paint, but barely used a quarter of the can. This was an easy morning project and it was all dry before noon. The drawer pull I purchased at Lowe's and was on clearance. I think the total project cost about 12.00. Not bad, especially since I have lots of the paint to spare for other little projects.

Here's another side by side look.

It's funny how changing just a little bit of color makes me that much happier when I walk past that room.


I also hung some new curtains on the bay window.


Sorry, no before pictures -- the other ones were just a pleasant neutral brown tone, which although they looked nice, they just weren't doing much for that space. I think these accent the shape of the window more. The chairs I got on craigslist for a steal and I'm trying to find some chair covers I like for them, although the original color has been growing on me. I'm also thinking on staining/painting the legs a new color to update them a bit. This is my new favorite spot to sit and read at night when it's quiet.

I've got quite a long list of other projects in the works so hopefully I'll remember to take and post pictures as they get done as well.

8 comments:

Nancie said...

grey is the new tan. I love those projects. You did great! Ive been dying to paint lately, but alas, we rent. I'll come help sometime!

Kris said...

I love the new color of your table. You've got me motivated to do some fresh painting on one of my little mini tables. Great job and I LOVE your curtains too! How fun! :)

tharker said...

Oh, Sarah I love the color you chose!! My tan walls/black furniture/blah house could really use some pops of color like this.

hatch said...

Love it! Love the color!

::lindsay said...

Love it Sarah! You have the best sense of style. Hey, where did you get your curtains at? I'm looking for new curtains.

Sarah said...

Lindsay-
I found them at Lowe's. I would never have even looked there if I wasn't already there for other stuff but they have a few cute ones.

Anonymous said...

I like the chair color too! They look grayish blue(or is it blueish gray:) to the color of my newish couch. That's why it's good to wait a little, gives things time to grow on you, maybe go a different direction. Then again...something lighter in color would be a really nice contrast against the curtains...if only there weren't so many dirty little hands!:)

almond nuthouse said...

Love it! I've got plenty of painting projects to do if you are itching for more! :) Great color! I really need to get decorating my house so it can look cute like your but i need major help!