
For any of you bookies (in the reading sense, not the gambling sense) out there that are looking for a good read, I recommend the latest from Oprah's Book Club, "The Road". It is by Cormac MacCarthy who also is the author of "All The Pretty Horses" among several others. I just finished this book a few days ago and was left with many thoughts to ponder on, which is what I like getting from a good book - things to discuss with other people and thought provoking questions. Cormac has a unique writing style that he uses in "The Road", and manages to base a whole book on very vague circumstances with no names, places, or specific details. This story is a post-apocalyptic journey of a man and his son for pure survival and really makes you ask yourself what you would be capable of doing to keep you and your child alive at any cost. It can be a little depressing at times, but at the end it leaves you with the hope that good can triumph over evil and devastation.


9 comments:
I love getting good book recommendations! Thanks!
And next Tuesday, I forgot I signed up to help with our Humanitarian Workshop at the church from noon till 3!! I would much rather have lunch in the park but we'll have to do it the following Tuesday if that's okay? I guess it doesn't have to be a Tuesday though. Let me know.
I need to read more books! It seems I'm too busy! That's a lame excuse, I know. I'm so impressed with how much reading you do. It seems like you are always saying how you read this in the paper, or that book or whatever. That's so awesome! What do you think about this weather??
Sarah, does this book have a much bad language? I have tried reading several of the books Oprah has recommended and every time I can't get through it because of the language.
I can stand a little, but if there are like 5-10 bad words a page then no thanks.
Marilyn-I don't remember there being any bad language, I can't stand that either. His language is very concise and to the point, not a lot of wasted words.
Kim- That's alright, we can try for the following Tuesday or we go down to the park by our house quite often too. Are there any neighborhood parks close to you guys?
Kristen- The weather is great. I could live with the 80 degree's for a while. Are your kids getting antzy to set up the pool?
I myself love a good read. I will have to check this one out. Right now I am reading The Wedding. It is written by Nicholas Sparks, the same guy who wrote The Notebook. So far I am really enjoying it. I love to discuss what I am reading with other people it just seems to add a dimension to the story when you can talk about. I really should join the enrichment book club....
Kim H.-
I like Nicholas Sparks too. I loved the Notebook and the Wedding. Don't you just wish our guys knew how to be romantic like that? I don't go to the book club meetings for church, but try to stay up on what they are reading. Good ones they've read recently are "The Hiding Place" by Corrie ten Boom, and "The Ladies #1 Detective Agency", I can't remember the authors name but it was a fun read.
OK. SERIOUSLY! You are killing me. You should bring them over when you are finished- then maybe I'll get some culture in my life.
Thanks Sarah, I will check this book out.
Hey, I just am trying to get in as much reading as I can before this baby comes. Then I'll probably have a reading drought for a while.
Post a Comment