Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




May 19, 2007

What it means to be happy


I've been thinking a lot this week about what it really means to be happy. I found this quote (above) while looking for a new one to post on my page, and it really hit me in a profound way that I'm just like the foolish man, always seeking happiness in the future. Don't get me wrong, I like my life very much and am thankful for all that I have, but I do find myself thinking- oh, if I can only get this painting done my life will be great. Or if we could just finish our landscaping in our yard and pay off some of these bills......and there are so many other examples of things I let get in the way of just relaxing and enjoying the here and now. I've learned that happiness is truly a choice we have to make every day. This has been a long lesson for me. I've had times in my life where for months, I let circumstances I couldn't control, get the best of me and made me feel utterly defeated. As I've gotten older though, I've learned to look around a bit more at those who are going through serious trials and still manage to be hopeful, upbeat, and yes even happy. I want to be happy today, and not wait until tomorrow. What are your thoughts?

8 comments:

Heather said...

I agree. I'm always thinking as soon as... I really have to keep in mind all the great things going on right now!!

meohmyers said...

This is funny that you mentioned this. For a long time now, I've wanted people to look at me and wonder "what is she so happy about?" I don't think I'm meeting my goal. I completely understand. I, too, need to try harder to be happy in the moment instead of "only if...". There are so many things that make me happy that I'm surrounded with everyday, now I just need to act like it!

Kris said...

Sarah, I love how you are so insightful and think deeper than my brain can go. With that being said, and me having a moment to reflect on what makes me happy I've come to this conclusion! For me, I think I'm most happy when I'm doing things for others. I spent 3 weeks preparing for Jack's birthday party, scrapbook, and presents. I seriously didn't think about anything else but him and that made me so happy. It all paid off when he was surprised and touched by my gifts. I love to help others, and for me I'm more pleasant to be around cuz the focus is off of myself! I get it from my dad, and I hope that it will never change! Thanks for getting my brain thinking!

Tallia said...

Sarah, I think for me happiness comes best when I don't worry so much about my timetable as about the Lord's. He knows what we want, and He knows if we really need it, and He knows when it's best for us to have it. If we can have faith in that, then we won't worry so much and can let our focus be on our families, etc.

Marilyn said...

You are a great thinker Sarah! I love this quote, and even more so what is does to my attitude! You're right. We tend to focus on things that WILL make us happy, instead of the things that DO make us happy. We all have blessings to be happy about, are we paying attention to those or the things we don't have?

I am deciding to be happy right now!

P.S. I also agree with Kristen, service helps with happiness!

Sarah said...

Thanks for all of your great comments. Gives me lots to think about. Talia, you are so right about who's timetable we are really on. Makes a difference when you think about it that way. I also agree with the fact that service helps get your mind off of your self and can be uplifting. I love to do things for my family and friends, (Kristen remember the Love Languages book). There is one girl in our ward who I won't mention her name, but every time I see her she just seems so upbeat and happy and I've thought for the last couple of weeks that I want to strive to be that way and see if it has the same effect on people around me.

Anonymous said...

Sarah,good thinking. I think people would be alot happier if they took the time to think about what really makes them happy and then to strive for those things. I think we have become a greedy and wanting society where we think more(and more expensive)is better and will thus make us happier. For me it's the simple things that make me happy. Things like hearing from an old friend, my kids playing nicely together, a nice warm day without the wind knocking me to the ground, or just looking around at all the beauty in nature. Count your blessings, no matter how simple they are!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah,

So true...happiness is really a choice. You see people all the time in difficult circumstances who are happy and people who seem to have it all who are never happy. I love that song by Sheryl Crow "Soak up the Sun" where it talks about "it's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got." Always a good reminder to keep an attitude of gratitude, because I think that is absolutely synonymous with being happy.

Thanks for your thoughts!

1 1/2 weeks til we see you!