
It's amazing what sleep deprivation can do to your mind. Sleep experts have said that lack of sleep is almost the same as being intoxicated. I find myself rambling in my conversations, putting things away in the wrong cupboards, finally starting my day at noon, and many other things that would normally seem crazy to me, but are starting to feel very normal. My husband can go hunting at 4:00 in the morning in the dead of winter, and have an early morning tee-time after two hours of sleep. I on the other hand thrive on a good nights sleep. I need it and crave it. I have to have it in order to be a pleasant, happy person. Ever since I was a small child, I loved to go to sleep and be tucked into my bed for some zzzzz's. I never cried or protested, it was a quick change into my pj's and lights out. So why, oh why, would I be sent children who do not value the night time hours? I understand that my little baby is only a little over two weeks old, but I can already tell he's got the super-charged energy battery pack like Kendle. When they sleep, they sleep hard, but it's few and far between. Oh, he almost had us fooled. Morgan's joke he likes to play on me is waking up at 2:00 am and staying awake for a good hour or more. I'm talking WIDE AWAKE. My dear husband has been taking the early morning shift as he's getting up for work, he takes pity on me and tries to let me get at least one hour of good sleep in, but by that time Kendle is awake and running around the house and I can hear everything! Quick fact: It only took 3 YEARS for Kendle to finally sleep through the night. Wish me luck on this one. So if I seem to be acting kind of quirky lately, no I have not suddenly turned to alcohol I'm just missing a few thousand brain cells.


9 comments:
Oh Sara I can so relate to you. My husband is the same way and I cannot function without a good nights sleep. My kids on the other hand take after their Dad . I feel for you right now. Hang in there.
Sarah, I'm so sorry that you are deprived of sleep. I can handle it for just a few nights, but after that I'm doomed. I hope that Morgan decides to be a little nicer to you than Kendle was. Hopefully after a few more weeks he'll get everything figured out and he'll get on a better routine. Until then, we'll just deal with your quirkyness! :)
hey, so we both know that i got a little glimpse of the new you the other night and i have to say that i like it...quirks and all. ahhhhhhhh!(that is me screaming) watch out for car spiders!
Okay, I'm going to just suggest a few things that helped us have good sleepers, but I will definitely put a disclaimer on it that I think a lot of whether or not a baby is a good sleeper is just personality. i know we always made sure we did night feedings in the complete dark. Lights on to make the bottle, lights off before sitting on the couch or wherever to feed. Another good trick our first doctor taught us is to get that handy cotton hat and make sure it covers their eyes when you put them back down to get rid of any extra stimulus. He might fuss for a minute or two but hopefully with a full belly and a clean diaper he'll run out of things to fuss about. I don't know if it works for every baby, but it definitely helped us. I'm so sorry, Sarah. I am a complete and total zombie w/o a good nights sleep too. Makes me feel drugged. Anyway, you might just try it, if you're desperate enough. And I hope I didn't just seal my fate of getting a non-sleeper come January.
Oh, and the other thing I was just going to say is to make sure you're still bundling him like a little papoose. I'm sure none of this is new to you. Please don't think I'm a know-it-all either. I DON'T!
Sarah, that is so hard! I am one of those people who DOES NOT love the newborn stage. I look back on those times with my babies and it feels like I was walking through a foggy nightmare. The great thing is that it gets better! Kristen and I have a great book that can help you teach Morgan to sleep better when he's a little bit older. It helped a lot with my boys. Hang in there!
Thanks for all of the encouragement everyone. I didn't mean for it to sound like I'm whining either. I love my little baby boy, I just feel totally out of it about 80% of the time. I know you've all been there and thanks for any suggestions.
I'm praying for you, Sarah. I would love to come hold your baby for you if you ever need a nap.
hey, that picture on your slide of riley, kendle and bogie is sooo cute. what a little lady she is in her white dress! sweet.
Post a Comment