Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




June 5, 2007

Remembering summers past

I thought until I got pictures on here from last weekends graduations, I'd make a little post about some summer memories I have. Summer has always been somewhat of a magical time for me.

We used to camp out in the backyard, or sleep on the trampoline and look at the stars. When I was about Kendle's age our family used to play this game called "No Bears are out tonight". I can't remember the exact gist of it, but basically someone was the bear (usually my dad) and we'd end up getting scared silly and having a blast running around our big backyard from the "bear". Our family trip to visit our grandparents in Idaho, was always a summer adventure we couldn't wait for. We were always pretty free to roam around as kids during the summer. There were many times we'd still be out riding our bikes at ten o'clock because we could still barely see where we were going. As I got older there were always summer slumber parties and swim parties. BBQ's, picnic's, parades, the 4th of July and fireworks, the fair....there are so many things I love about this time of year. The smell of grilling food, and the sounds of children laughing and playing. Smelling the freshly cut grass, and hearing the spray of sprinklers. I played lots of summer softball in the hot heat, double headers in high humidity and I loved it. Now that I'm a parent I want to make sure my kids have as many fun summer memories as I have. Summertime gives us a chance to be kids again and make our own family traditions our children will look forward to every year.


This song, I put on here got me thinking about this topic in the first place. "Tim McGraw" by Taylor Swift makes me very reminiscent about being in high school and being young and in "love" and all of that good stuff. I just remember that feeling of not having a care in the world for three months straight. This summer make lots of memories with your family, and maybe even fall in love with your sweetie all over again.




14 comments:

Heather said...

I love this song too! Funny how songs can bring back such vivid memories.

Summer is my favorite time too, and I have so many memories growing up.

Kris said...

I've said this before, I love how you get so deep with your thoughts. Love the picture. Is that Kendle or you? It looks like it could be both. Very cute. I too remember playing the bear game. Not with my dad, but with all the neighor kids. We'd play late at night each summer night! This is good for me to reflect on such fond memories!

Sarah said...

That's Kendle in the pool, I think she was around 10 months. That's back when she still had super blond hair!

speedpelet00 said...

I can't believe that is Riley, No wonder you always want him to go workout.

hatch said...

I used to love to play "no bears are out tonight". We played that at my grandmas all the time. I have lots of fun summer memories too. Your post made me think about that. I love summer too.
What a cute picture of Kendal!

Johnsons said...

I love Summer for the same reasons. It's great to do all the kid stuff again. I feel sorry that Nate has to work!

Anonymous said...

Sarah -
It was so fun seeing you over the weekend. We definitely got a taste of summer, didn't we? 100 degree weather, BBQ, kids running around like banchees...good times.

Can't wait to see you next month...and your new little guy!
Love,
Deb

Tallia said...

Summers are special! I find myself wondering how I can make sure my kids will have lots of memories of fun summers too. I love the end of your blog about falling in love with your sweetie all over again! Summers are perfect for that too :-)

PRP said...

Can you believe Taylor Swift is only 16? That kills me! She's amazing.

I LOVE summer and all that it has to offer-BBQs, boating, swimming, etc but my favorite part is that Brad is home for three whole months and I LOVE IT!

Now if only the weather would cooperate.

tharker said...

We played No bears are out tonight too. My favorite place to go during the summer as a child was my grandparents' house in Logan, UT. They lived on this old farm, and we loved it. I loved getting up on an early summer morning and feeding the calves with huge baby bottles with my Grandpa.

I loved the carefree days of summer too. I remember getting up every morning, hurrying through my chores and breakfast and then I was gone until lunch playing, swimming, whatever. We would have a quick lunch and it seems like we would be gone again until dinner, then we would also ride bikes until dark. So many good memories. Although remembering these things makes me a little sad because I know that I will not be able to let my kids roam and be so carefree as I was. We live in such a different world now. There are too many creepos out there that spoil our kids fun. Does that make sense?

Sarah said...

I loved everyone's comments about their summers and things you've remembered. I agree with Tiffany that the world is a different place now for our children, they can't roam free like we used too. Sad. :(

Marilyn said...

One thing I love about living out here in Burbank and on a mostly mormon road is that I CAN let my kids roam free. I know all the neighbors, it's very safe and we have lots of family and ward members all along our road. It is THE BEST PLACE TO LIVE.

Sarah, when are you coming back to Burbank???? We miss you!

Sarah said...

Marilyn-
Find us a good deal on some land, and a decent builder and we're there. The problem with Burbank is no one wants developments going in so it is all private custom builders that charge an arm and a leg. That's still our goal though. A manufactured home out there on a tiny lot sells for more than a regular house over here. But keep your eyes peeled for me. Also living so close to two different grocery stores, I would have to say that Burbank needs to get some kind of little grocery store, or at least expand one of their gas stations into a little store where you can buy basic items that don't look like they've been sitting there for five years. Oh, you have to love rural living!

Marilyn said...

There are some nice houses for sale out here. One brand new one, off of ice harbor drive that sits back on a culdesac. it's new, stucco, nice. Haven't seen the inside yet, but it's a big house and was built by Jerry Gordon. I think it is on some land, not a lot. Danyelle and Ryan actually looked at it and I think they said it was selling around $180,000-200,000. It also has a shop, I think.

There are also houses in Arlene's, but I will definitely keep my eyes open.