Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




December 6, 2007

Put a little love in your heart


Lately I've been discussing with my daughter the importance of doing nice things for other's without expecting something in return, just for the sake of doing it. We are having struggles around our house of "wheeling and dealing" for every little task to be done. Are we raising a generation of children that demand rewards for every little task or chore? I admit I do resort to bribery on a regular basis, and so in a sense it's partly my fault.
So, I thought to myself, am I any better at doing thing's for others? Do I expect something in return? This month I have challenged myself (and you can do the same if you like) to try and do at least one kind thing every day. Now I'm not talking about baking a huge batch of cookies, or buying someone an expensive present. It could be something as small as taking the time to visit with a neighbor, sending a happy e-mail, or giving a friendly wave (even to that grouchy person who never waves back). I know when I am the recipient of a kind gesture it brightens my whole day and I feel like passing that feeling on. Happiness is so contagious, I've always been drawn to happy up-beat people. By the end of December I hope that I will have made someones day, made someone feel less lonely, or let them know they have a friend in me. I know it is so "Miss America" to say you want peace on earth, but really this time of year, it doesn't sound so cheesy. So if you want, you can join me and put a little love in someones heart today!

7 comments:

Kris said...

Sarah, thanks for the challenge. I'm ready for it. I've been thinking a lot about others, and how I can be nice to many people. You are right, it doesn't take cookies, or anything big, to make someone's day! Thanks for putting this in perspective and writing it down. I love this idea!

PRP said...

This was great. I completely agree that we tend to get lost in thinking that if we can't do something "big" then why do anything at all. It's the little stuff that makes the world go round.

Perfect message for this time of year. Thanks!

tharker said...

Miss America...you're so funny!

This was a great reminder. I've been kind of having my own pity party today, so this is actually something that would help me to stop feeling sorry for myself.

You are great Sarah. I'm so glad that I have gotten to know you better through blogging. Thank you.

Nancie said...

"Wheeling and dealing" SO TRUE.

you are such an example to me!

Marilyn said...

It is true that the more you look outward and think of others the more happy YOU become. Thanks for the challenge!

::lindsay said...

Great post! I think we'll be trying that at our house too.

dandee said...

"Wheeling and dealing"

"Miss America"

Those had me chuckling.

Thank you for the perspective. I often forget that it's the little things that really make the difference. Too often I think if I can't do something significant, why bother. I really needed this, so thanks.