
-Playing for Pizza by John Grisham. I actually bought this for Riley for Christmas, but I couldn't resist reading it first because I'm a huge Grisham fan. This was one of his non-legal stories about a washed up NFL quarterback that ends up playing small ball football in Italy. This book was highly entertaining and talked not only about football, but about the Italian cuisine, history, and landmarks. The main character went from being an embarrassment to his U.S. team to a local Italian hero. This was a fun read.

-The Innocent Man by John Grisham. "In the town of Ada, Oklahoma, Ron Williamson was going to be the next Mickey Mantle. But on his way to the Big Leagues, Ron stumbled, his dreams broken by drinking, drugs, and women. Then, on a winter night in 1982, not far from Ron’s home, a young cocktail waitress named Debra Sue Carter was savagely murdered. The investigation led nowhere. Until, on the flimsiest evidence, it led to Ron Williamson. The washed-up small-town hero was charged, tried, and sentenced to death—in a trial littered with lying witnesses and tainted evidence that would shatter a man’s already broken life…and let a true killer go free. Impeccably researched, grippingly told, filled with eleventh-hour drama, John Grisham’s first work of nonfiction reads like a page-turning legal thriller. It is a book that will terrify anyone who believes in the presumption of innocence—a book no American can afford to miss."-Book description from Amazon.com
Grisham's non-fiction writing is just as good as his fiction. This book really made me stop to think about every person who is put on trial and the power of DNA testing to solidify a perpetrators guilt. If you are interested in the legal system and crime solving you will like this book.
-Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. This book was about a man in a nursing home remembering his life in the circus where he met his true love. With all of the hype surrounding this book I expected a lot more. There were parts that I basically had to skip over because of the content. I would not recommend it.
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Amazon.com says: "In his debut novel, The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini accomplishes what very few contemporary novelists are able to do. He manages to provide an educational and eye-opening account of a country's political turmoil--in this case, Afghanistan--while also developing characters whose heartbreaking struggles and emotional triumphs resonate with readers long after the last page has been turned over. And he does this on his first try. "
This book is an account from a man's perspective of Afghanistan and not for the faint of heart, but if you can make it through until the end you won't be sorry. This book had me in tears so many times, and opened my eyes to the racial struggles that exist in other countries. It felt more like a personal memoir than a novel the writer has created and made me more than thankful for the country I live in and how easy my life is in comparison. I highly recommend this book and can't wait to read the author's second novel "A Thousand Splendid Suns", which is from a women's perspective.
I just started a new book yesterday and can't wait until I have some quiet this afternoon to sit down and have a good read.


7 comments:
I love a good book too. Your perfect afternoon sounds a lot like what I envision too.
A friend just lent me her copy of The Wednesday Letters by Jason Wright. As soon as I finish the book that I am currently reading, I am going to start it. I can't wait. I also really want to read These is my words by Nancy Turner. All of my sisters in law have read it and loved it.
I have not read anything by Grisham for a long time. I always enjoy his books I will have to put those on my list of books I want to read.
I have also heard wonderful things about These Is My Words by Nancy Turner. Days like these are great for reading.
I've wanted to read both of those John Grisham books. I just finished "Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog" by John Grogan. I'm not at all a dog lover, and I thought this book was hilarious.
tell me next time you read a scary book sarah and i'll come scratching at your window...
Thanks for sharing what books you are reading, I'm always in search of another good read!
reading: a painted house, by grisham, pretty good.
love this post. I'll be referring back soon, to pick up another book.
I've never read a Grisham book! I guess I need to get on the wagon and join the club! Thanks Sarah for the great recommendations. I love your variety in what you like!
Post a Comment