Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




January 10, 2008

Oldgirls and the scruffy bear

Yesterday afternoon, I finally had enough. Something had to be done. Kendle and I spent two hours, (yes two hours) cleaning and organizing her room. Sometimes I get really frustrated with her for not putting her things away and keeping her room tidy, but maybe it's partly my fault for not having things accessible enough for her. So we got some big bags to put all of the stuff we would donate in, and then another trash bag to throw things away not worth donating. I'm not kidding that just before Christmas I went through and did a little dejunking, but it never ceases to amaze me the amount of clutter and "little treasures" that can accumulate in a few short months.

If it were up to Kendle her room would be chalk full of marbles, shells, drawings, rocks, stickers, little bits of stubby pencils and those annoying McDonald's toys. And stuffed animals. She loves them with all of heart, and though she has her favorites, few escape her care or concern. But miraculously, she was great about weeding through all of the knick-knacks and letting go of some of her old friends. One in particular was this old scruffy bear that she has had forever. That thing is missing an eye, totally frayed, and it looks like it's survived a tornado. Mr. Bear has had many adventures with Kendle and I was even a little sad to see him go. Or maybe it made me sad that she's outgrown him and let him go so easily. She's growing up.











Then we started going through some of her clothes, particularly summer things that aren't going to fit her this year and we found her "Oldgirls". That's what Kendle has always called overalls and I think it's the cutest thing ever. I don't even want to correct her and have her say it the right way. We discussed how her "Oldgirls" weren't going to be long enough anymore, but that maybe I could make them into "shortgirls" for spring and summer. She liked that idea, so I put them in the sewing pile. I'm amazed to see how much she has grown just since the beginning of the school year.

At the end of it all, we ended up with a toy box no longer overflowing with toys, two organized bookcases, clothes hung and packed away, and one happy little girl.

8 comments:

Marilyn said...

I hear ya on the room cleaning business. I won't even admit in public how long I spent helping Madeline and Jocelyn clean their room. Let's just say it was a marathon! But it's clean now and they are at least trying to keep it that way.

"oldgirls" is Hil.ar.ious.

::lindsay said...

I agree, "oldgirls" is too cute!

Carson has had some stuffed animal friends that we let go too. I think it made me sadder than him. It reminded me of Toy Story 2.

tharker said...

Her room sounds exactly like Hannah's! A few weeks ago, she and I had a cleaning marathon too. Man, that girl can collect some serious crap...I mean "treasures".

Oldgirls is possibly one of the cutest things I've ever heard. What an awesome little girl Kendle is!

hatch said...

She reminds me so much of Dylan. He is always collecting junk, and when I try to get rid of it he goes of forever about his love for it. He too loves the stuffed animals. When he as three I got rid of some of them and he still talks about his special animal that my mom got rid of....

Oldgirls that is great! I love Kendle!

hatch said...

She reminds me so much of Dylan. He is always collecting junk, and when I try to get rid of it he goes of forever about his love for it. He too loves the stuffed animals. When he as three I got rid of some of them and he still talks about his special animal that my mom got rid of....

Oldgirls that is great! I love Kendle!

The Garden Maiden said...

I think that stuff breeds in the right environment. I still have my bear from when I was a girl. It has absolutely no fuzz left, has had many shades of eyeshadow and been stitched up a couple of times too many but I just can't let go of it. I hope it is around a hundred years from now. It lives in a drawer for now. I wish though I had saved a few of my kids favorite clothes as keepsakes. My friend who had 8 children dresses dolls in her kids clothes for her grandkids. It is very precious. I actually have a pair of overalls that were Leons when he was a boy.

Anonymous said...

We just went through all the kids' stuff before Christmas and when I go into the playroom, I am constantly reminded we need to do a post-Christmas de-junking to make room for all their new toys. I don't know where in the world we're going to have room for this baby and all her stuff. I had a baby shower last night and I'm telling ya - I don't have a clue where I'm going to put it all!

meohmyers said...

I thought our "de-junking" of Ally's room before Christmas would be sufficient for a while but we're doing it again TOMORROW!! I had to go get big storage bins for clothes and we're sticking to the "if-you-haven't-played-with-it-since-we-moved-here-then-it's-gone-rule".

"Oldgirls" is the cutest thing ever!!! I wouldn't tell her the real word, either!