Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




September 15, 2008

Going to Oz (well sort of)

I am so excited that my aunt got my mother, myself, and my sister tickets to go see:























I have been dreaming of seeing this musical since it's debut on Broadway and I think the months are going to creep by very slow now, the show isn't until March. We are going to see it in Portland, and although it will not be the original cast (Idina Menzel, Kristen Chenoweth) it still didn't stop me from jumping up and down and putting a large bright red circle around that weekend on my calendar. The songs from the soundtrack are awesome (playing on my playlist for the day).

















I've always loved anything to do with "The Wizard of Oz" and this musical, which is adapted from Gregory Maguire's book, takes a totally original spin on what we think we know about the Wicked Witch of the West and how she became the person she was.



















Wicked tells the story of Elphaba the future Wicked Witch of the West and her relationship with Glinda the Good Witch of the North. Their friendship struggles through their opposing personalities and viewpoints, rivalry over the same love-interest, their reactions to the Wizard's corrupt government, and, ultimately, Elphaba's public fall from grace. The plot is set mostly before Dorothy's arrival from Kansas, and includes several references to well-known scenes and dialogue in the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz.


I -Just - Can't -Wait! There is just something about seeing one of your favorite stories come to life that is so fun and exciting. So aunt Alaina, even though I know you don't read my blog, THANK YOU!!!

10 comments:

Heather said...

I want to see it too. Maybe I should read the book?

Closed for Business said...

that is going to be awesome!

marilyn and I tried to go when we were in NYC. sold out! Maybe Marilyn and I will have to try and go in March too.

Kris said...

How fun Sarah. When are you going?? Or did I miss reading it?? Is it going to be in Spokane or Seattle? My Brother and SIL went and saw this in NYC in July and loved it. I hope you have a great time!

Sarah said...

Kristen-
It's in Portland in March.

dandee said...

You're going to be in heaven! Ryan and I saw it in Seattle a few years ago. We have seen a few Broadway plays together and this has been the favorite...by far!

::lindsay said...

This is one I've been dying to see! I missed it when it was in Seattle. Maybe I'll have to try to see it in Portland too.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! Always nice to have something to look forward to!

tharker said...

I really would love to see this one too. Although I should probably take up Heather's suggestion and read it too.

I can't wait to hear all about it...even if that won't be for several months!

Marilyn said...

So jealous. That will be so fun!

Anonymous said...

shhhh....here is a little secret.....you are going to love it! :)