Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




September 23, 2008

Star of the Day

Kendle is LOVING school. Every day she comes home excited by something they did in class, or something her teacher said to her. I can already tell that this is going to be a good year.

Her teacher does so many neat things with them and one in particular is the Star of the Day. Each student has a day where they get to be the teachers helper, be first in line, sit on a special cushion on their chair, and other fun things. But Kendle's favorite part is that her teacher takes a big piece of paper with their name on it and helps the other kids in class write something nice about the Star of the Day on it. Well yesterday was Kendle's turn to be the Star of the Day, and I don't think you could have watched a happier little girl run home off the bus after school. She had so much to tell me, she just couldn't get it all out fast enough. She talked at light speed and showed me the big piece of paper that had nice things written about her. Kendle was so happy about it, she wanted to hang her paper right by her bed so she could easily read it.

































I just think that is one of the best ideas for helping kids to feel good about themselves (which in turn can help them do better in school). I am going to email her teacher and thank her. There are a lot of children out there that don't hear positive or nice things at home, and to have your classmates write that you are nice, or funny, or a good friend would mean a lot to some of those boys and girls. I really like this teachers style of positive reinforcement.

Kendle also said they were treated to chocolate milk and cookies for someones birthday, so all in all I think that will be a hard day to top.

9 comments:

Kris said...

How cool that Mrs. M, does "Star of the Day." I love that teacher so much. Kendle looks so happy, and I'm sure this really was the highlight of her year. I love all the compliments that her friends said about her. So cute. Happy Star Day Kendle.

Anonymous said...

So fun. Zack got to be "Student of the Day" last week and wow - what a BIG DEAL that was to him! 1st grade is shaping up to be a good one for everyone, sounds like!

Marilyn said...

Definitely a great day, we've had teachers do similar things like this and it helps them so much feel important and loved.

She does have beautiful hair and a beautiful smile!

::lindsay said...

I think that is a great idea. Kendle looks so proud!

Jan said...

Way to go Kendle. How fun. I love when they honor goodness. It really makes it more postitive for the kids. They so focus on the rowdy kids sometimes, that they need programs like this to recognize those that try really hard. So stand tall girl.

tharker said...

What a great idea. Josh's teacher has a "special helper" each day, and he loves it. But I really think that having the kids share what they like about their classmates is such a great idea!!

I seriously wish that Kendle's shirt came in my size!!

Sarah said...

Tiffani-
We got that top at the kids Gap, you're so tiny I bet you could find a girls size that fit you!

Jan said...

I just put up a video clip so you can watch what the movie is about Sarah. Thanks for asking.

momtovey said...

What a great thing to do for little students. I am going to ask around and see if anyone does it for their students at my school. I have such beautiful grandchildren. Kendle is a special girl.