Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




November 23, 2008

Twilight

*If you have not watched the movie yet you might not want to read this.

3 Things I disliked about the movie:

1.)Horrible hair and makeup.

2.)All of Kristen Stewart's gasps, breaths, and random pauses during her and Edward's conversations. The hospital scene at the end seriously had me digging my fingernails into the palms of my hand it was so hard to listen to.

3.)Not enough of a buildup of Edward and Bella's relationship (but for time's sake I guess they couldn't fit it all in).


3 1/2 Things I loved:

1.)Edward. The part in the movie where he picks Bella up for school and is wearing those groovy sunglasses basically sealed the deal for me.

2.)The baseball scene. Probably my favorite part of the whole movie. Maybe it's because I love sports, or maybe because it was fun to actually see the Cullen's interacting with each other and not being so serious. I loved when Edward and Emmett went for the same ball and tackled each other in the air. That was FUN to watch. Awesome.

3.)Bella's truck, house, school and the overall location shots of the forests and gloomy, rainy days. It was pretty much exactly how I imagined everything in the book.

3 1/2). Clean language for the most part, not including some stupid teenage banter. I don't remember any swear words. Correct me if I'm wrong.


3 Things that I thought were odd:

1.)Did they have some sort of sponsorship with Rainier Beer? Every scene of Charlie had a close up of his can of beer or a six-pack.

2.)Jacob Black's whiter than white teeth.

3.)All of the Cullen's looked odd, and the other vampires - James, Laurent, and Victoria looked pretty normal (as normal as being buff and extremely good looking can be). Their skin didn't look chalky and their hair looked more natural. Is it because the Cullen's are "vegetarian" vampires? Maybe we'll never know. Give me your theories.


Overall I liked the movie and Riley liked the movie. I'm glad I went with him because he has a totally different take on the books than I do, and it was fun to compare our favorite parts of the movie and what we thought of the characters. I was actually surprised at how many guys were in the theater when we went to see it. I went into it knowing it wasn't going to be the best movie ever, I knew they had a small budget and it wasn't going to be on the same level as Batman. My little sister actually compared it too something akin to an after school special on the special effects front. But in my humble opinion, I was still pretty happy with it, and I think if they are able to make the rest of the books into movies (which it sounds like they will since Twilight had the amazing opening weekend that they needed) they should most likely keep getting better. Riley and I discussed how the first Harry Potter movie was pretty cheesy when you compare it the more recent ones that have been made, and hopefully that will be the same case with the Twilight series because I could definitely take three more movies with Edward Cullen.

9 comments:

Tamra said...

I was very unhappy with the boy they cast as Jacob before I saw the movie. But once I saw him...I LOVED HIM! His teeth were too white though, I agree. And he was kind of too mature looking for the first movie, but he looked like a great "beginning of the second book" Jacob. And the hospital scene got me too. I really really hate Kristen Stewart.

Kris said...

Sarah, I'm glad that you did a post on Twilight. I loved the baseball scene, and Edward looking HOT in that scene picking up Bella. I liked it once they finally were hooked up, it made the movie so much more fun. I thought the Cullens were awesome. I really liked Dr. Carlisle, yeah he was too white, but other than that, I digged them. One thing that I noticed was Bella and her dad were always in the restaurant. I thought she cooked him dinners every night? Am I wrong? Also, I loved how Edward reacted to Bella the first time they saw each other. That was hilarious. It helped that I knew that he couldn't bear her smell, but I thought that was played out really well. Oh and when he rescued her from the shopping trip. I really liked the movie, I think it helped that I haven't read the book in over a year, so I wasn't expecting everything to be put into it. Good Review. After this long comment, I guess I should've done my own! :)

Anonymous said...

glad you liked the movie. the only thing i can comment on is that i liked the early h.p movies better than the recent ones...i hope the next one is really good. now, will twilight fans see the movie again before it's out of the theaters or wait til it's on dvd :)

Sarah said...

Nat-
I would go see it again. I think I'll go again during Thankgiving with my mom.

Marilyn said...

I loved Kristen's portrayal of Bella, I thought it was perfect. And although I agree with your comment about the nomad vamps looking pretty normal compared to the Cullens, I still really liked the way they were portrayed. Except for Jasper...that was ridiculous.

I really love reading everyone's take on the movie.

Heather said...

ugh, i hated the hospital scene

tharker said...

I also thought it was strange that the nomad vampires looked normal and the Cullens looked like they had rolled in sidewalk chalk. I really thought they nailed Victoria. I'm excited to see what she'll do in the next one.

Julie said...

Overall I liked it but I went in with low expectations. I agree with all you said. I wished they would put more of their courtship and Alice. I love Alice in the book but the movie totally made her not so bubbley for me. And Jasper I just hope he get better in the other movies. Edward was great and I loved the glasses scence too.

::lindsay said...

I liked hearing your take of the movie. I agree, it would have been nice to see more of the courtship of Edward and Bella. I thought that the actors had great chemistry in the movie though. I thought you made a good point with the Harry Potter movies too. The first one was very cheesy when you compare it to the others. I bet now that its made so much money, the next one will be even better.