
I have been feeling like such a flake of a mom lately. My brain is just not 100% there right now. I expect Kendle to let me know which things need to go back to school and when, which she is usually very good about. I ask if she has homework, books to read, etc....
Well, I really dropped the ball this week. On Monday I was cleaning off the counters and extra papers lying around - they start to drive me crazy - and I sorted through bills and such. I accidentally threw something away that she needed to take back to school. It was a little assignment that looked like a comic strip, and supposedly she was supposed to finish it and take it back. (In my defense it did not look like something important enough to turn in for credit, and she brings home fifty drawings and coloring sheets a week.) So then Kendle informs me that since I threw it away, she got zero points for the assignment. I felt SO bad. Kendle hates to disappoint her teacher and I knew it wasn't her fault.
Then as we are getting ready to get her off to the bus (in our usual rush) this morning, I look in her back pack and find her Wednesday envelope with things I need to read and sign and send back to school, and her little bag of reading books we were supposed to read the night before and send back. Part of me was irritated that she didn't give these things to me when she got home, but then I remembered I had made her go clean her room as soon as she had walked in the door yesterday and she probably just forgot. Like me. I usually check her backpack and I totally spaced it.
Really teachers should not blame kids at this age for having flaky parents, and I'm afraid from here on out it's only going to get worse. Hopefully her missed assignment doesn't hamper her future academic career. Ha.


9 comments:
I can completely relate to this Sarah! Carson's forgotten his math workbook one day due to me and I keep forgetting to sign his homework binder thingy.
He currently has to bring pictures that represent our culture at home. This requires him to rely on me printing off pictures---How well do you think that is going to go and how prompt do you think I'll be about that? {He'll be lucky if he gets to bring them in 3 months from now.}
I'm sure she'll still get into college ;)
You're not the only one, Sarah. I 've done this exact thing before too.
If it helps I've already gotten a direct call from the teacher about not sending a note stating I was going to pick up my child... and forgotten various papers. Our career is off to a raging start.
I'm really against homework for this age group.
I sent lunch money last week with Zack and then this week got a notice home saying the kids accounts were overdrawn...and sure enough...one week later, the envelope was STILL in his backpack.
I still do this, and Spence is in 4th grade!
honestly sarah, it's not a preg. thing...and the older your kids get and the more you have in school, the more it will happen. whatever, it's life. so tired of the stuff that has to go back every day. some days i feel like i'm the one in school! :)
I agree about the homework thing...the teachers are so stressed about the "no child left behind" mandate that they feel like they have to reinforce (did I spell that right?) everything they teach that week. We had a dad in today who was so mad that homework was part of their grade and his little girl is here at school for almost 8.5 hours everyday. He is a single guy and all the paperwork is just not up his alley. So don't feel bad ladies...you are doing great!!!
Ok everyone - thanks for the comments. I am feeling a little better now. I emailed Kendle's teacher and told her what happened and she let Kendle redo the assignment at school today for half-credit. Yay. (insert wry smile)
Lindsay, I totally forgot about the homework for Tyler and Carson. Thanks for the reminder.
Sydnee came home yesterday with that paper about shaving dental work done. Well she said that I HAD to return it even if I checked NO. How lame is that? I have my kids specials written on my pantry door. Guess who forgot that it was library day today? All of us. I think being a mom requires more brain cells than what I have! Great post. Loved all the comments too. Oh can I just say how I'm so glad to be back in blogland? Your blog is always my first stop! Love ya! :)
Post a Comment