Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




January 25, 2010

Monday Morning Ramble

Why is it that the one year Riley and I both get flu shots, (the first since we were kids probably) we have been sicker than ever. Our whole family has been going through an endless cycle of the flu and it finally caught up to the two of us this last week. It has been taking a whole week for the next person to get sick which means it has quite the incubation period and must be some kind of strong bug. For the record, I will just say I HATE - HATE - HATE feeling like I'm going to throw up. I already had to spend the majority of last year being miserable and I just want everyone to be well and feel good, including myself. It brought back horrible memories of my early months of pregnancy and I can't believe that it was possible to feel that horrible day in and day out. Morgan and I got almost this exact same thing back in October, just a few weeks before the babies were born and I felt like I was dying. Riley was so miserable yesterday morning and threw up a ton. I felt so bad for him. Regardless, he managed to make it with me to Kendle's "It's Great to Be Eight" fireside at the church last night since it was so important to her. He looked horrible, but that is a good dad for you. Hopefully we are all done now and these yucky bugs can be banished from our home. I will spend today, once again, cleaning and disinfecting everything I can. I'm so thankful to my mom for coming up and helping me on Friday with the kids. She spent the night and allowed us to get an actual whole nights sleep. I got up around 8:00 in the morning on Saturday and had not even heard a baby cry. She is so good. That was the first real night's sleep I have had in over 9 months and I felt so much better that day because of it.

I have to tell some funny things about Kendle before I forget them. She has such a funny sense of humor and has since she was a little girl. Her primary teacher was telling me last night at the fireside about something that happened in their class. A few Sundays ago, they were talking in their lesson about their spirits and how they looked like their bodies. They were passing around a mirror for each of the children to look at themselves in and when it got to Kendle she said "Great - so I'm going to be stuck with these teeth?" Her teeth are kind of at what we call "the hill billy teeth stage". She's getting very self conscious about the way they look. Anyways, they thought that was funny and I could totally picture her saying it. She's also been writing these really great little stories lately. I don't know how she thinks up all of her ideas but they are really cute. She wrote one last week about a whale with polka dots that had us laughing. I'll have to post some more of them on here in the next few days if I can remember. I can't believe she will be 8 this year. After the fireside last night she is so excited to get baptized and go to Activity Days. I'm so thankful for what good primary leaders and teachers she has.

Morgan is still doing great with the potty training and having hardly any accidents. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, but we just keep encouraging him and keeping him excited about it. He gets to go to pre-school in the fall, so I've been using that as an incentive by telling him that to go to school he has to go potty like a big boy. He is so excited to go to school, so I think that has really helped. Sometimes it can be quite the adventure when I am stuck feeding or putting a baby to sleep and can't get up to help him and I can hear him in the bathroom not knowing what he's doing, but so far we've only had a few mishaps. He has loved playing with his big Lego block set my mom and dad got him for Christmas. He will spend hours building towers and garages for his cars. The other day he went through them and told me all their colors. I was very impressed. He has such a good imagination and will talk to himself and play so well. He is very curious and always asking me how things work. If a toy needs a new battery, he knows where to find them and will also bring me the right kind of screw driver to fix it. I like that during the day, he will still come sit and rock with me when we have a quiet moment together. He is my little buddy.

The twins had their 2 month checkup last week and we were excited to see how much they have grown. They are the exact same length if you can believe it - 23 1/2 inches long. Also, Cooper weighed in at 12.9 and Kale at 12.5, so they are almost the EXACT same size. I think that is amazing. The doctor couldn't believe it either. So that's about 3 or so inches and 5 or so pounds in the last two months that they've grown. Wow! Guess all that food they chug down has been good for something after all. They also had to get their vaccinations - 3 shots and one orally. I hate seeing those needles sink into their soft chubby little legs. It never gets any better no matter how many kids you have. Cooper's little leg was bleeding so much it got on his little outfit he was wearing. I think he handles that stuff a little better than Kale though. Kale just wails and has this horrible high pitched kitten mewing sound. It is the saddest thing ever. I've never heard a baby cry that like before, he is Mr. Sensitive. I can't believe they are 10 weeks old today!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

my number 2 and 3 had similiar heights as well...weird how that happens. don't be too hard on the flu shot. i thought for a long time that it was the stomach flu the shot was for but it's really for the severe cold-like flu. it's always a blessing when babies miss out on all the sickness. hopefully everyone is on the mend for a good while now and enjoying an extra day off :)

Kris said...

This sounds like a horrible weekend of throwing up and etc. I can't believe both you and Riley were sick. UGH! Mel, is an amazing woman. I love how helpful she is to you. I can just see Kendle being excited about the fireside. We really have a great Primary Pres. Get feeling better!

Anonymous said...

This has been a terrible sick-year, hasn't it? I hope you all are on the mend very soon. I think it's time for some 10-week old pics of the twins....

Sarah said...

Nat- we've had the bad colds too. I think we've had everything under the sun from mid-October until now. It seems impossible between school, church, work, and family members to get everyone well.

Heather said...

Ok, Kendle is cracking me up. I love that girl! Being sick is the worst... I hope you are over it soon!