I have so many thoughts swirling around in my head but can't quite seem to be able to put them into words. I've had lots of promptings and strong impressions lately to be thankful for what I have. I think I take things for granted a lot of the time. The things that sometimes frustrate me when looked at more closely are actually blessings. I'm learning to take the bad with good. Sometimes life sends unexpected surprises when we need it the most.
For example, back before Riley and I met he had received a nice sum of money from his grandfather that passed away. Being a typical 20 year old guy he would have loved to have spent it on a new car, or vacations or some other cool thing but instead he tried to do something responsible and decided to invest it in a program that offered substantial returns. He was planning for his future. Months later he and many others in the Tri-Cities and beyond received the gut wrenching news that it had been a ponzi scheme and all their money they had invested was lost. They were told a trial would ensue that could take years, and not to expect to get much if any of their money back.
Fast forward to about a year ago, we heard from a representative of the case and they wanted to verify our address and information to ensure that Riley could get his settlement money when the trial ended and everything was finalized. They wanted to prepare us that becuase of the large amount of plaintiffs in the case, the percentage of the inital investment money they would be getting reimbursed with would be pretty small. They gave us a rough figure and we thought it sounded pretty good actually. Not the full amount, but still only a few thousand off and we could definitely use the money. We waited and waited and never got anything in the mail. We kind of just gave up on it.
A few weeks ago after checking the mail, I saw an interesting looking envelope and knew right away what it was. I called Riley and excitedly opened the envelope so I could tell him the amount and read the attached letter. Wouldn't you know it, it was waaayyyy less than even the rough estimate they had given us. We're talking, way way way less. It was pretty discouraging, heartbreaking really. But, we both decided it was lucky that any money came at all and it came at a time when we needed it and could put it to good use.
It's hard when life can be disappointing sometimes and I want things right at this very instant. It's hard playing the waiting game and being patient. I'm trying to be more grateful for what I have and what my life is like at this point in time.
November 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
good attitude Sarah.
Yep, our lives are so much better than we realize! We're kinda like spoiled kids...we want bigger, better, newer, nicer. Sometimes it helps to see ourselves thru someone elses perspective to keep our own in check. That's really good that you guys were grateful for the money you did get.
THat's a hard thing to go through. Losing a lot of money. But the little amount right now is a huge blessing, which is the most important! Love your blog! Thanks for the continuious updates! Check your mail. Kendle should get something from Syd today!
Sarah you so not know this but I needed to hear this today more than you will ever know.
Thank-you for being such an awesome and in tune friend.
Kim
We can certainly empathize with you there, as we are trying to sell a house we put 20% down on plus money we spent on improvements, and will probably not see any of that money ever again. So frustrating. I keep reminding myself: it's just money, and money does not ensure happiness. I think sometimes Heavenly Father wants us to remember that.
I hear ya! Brian and I did the same thing when we were in dental school and living off of loans. we took what we thought was a very good "risk" and lost it all. All you have to do is turn on the news etc. to realize how truly blessed we all are. Thanks for the post!
You have such a great attitude Sarah! I think being able to find the good in a not so good situation is such a gift.
Wow, that is terrible but I love how you always see the positive. I too, need to be more grateful.
Kris really needed to hear this as well Sarah! She is going coocoo for cocoa puffs in Oregon...you'll here about it very shortly....:)
Post a Comment