Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




January 5, 2011

Daily Schedule

Do you ever wonder what someone else's typical day looks like? Well, here's the way mine usually goes:

7:00 - Wake up, get Kendle up and going for school
7:30 - Make breakfast for the two older kids, pack Kendle's lunch, do Kendle's hair
7:55 - Send Kendle out the door for the bus
8:00 - 8:30 Get babies up and feed them breakfast
8:30 or so - Put babies in the tub and get them cleaned up and dressed
9:00 - do a quick pick up and tidy up the house, start a load of laundry, think about dinner prep
9:30 - have a bit of down time, check blogs, email or facebook while I eat some toast or whatever I can grab for breakfast
10:00 - give the kids a little snack
10:30 - fold laundry if it's done and put it away
11:00 - put babies down for a nap and go work out while they sleep
11:45 or 12:00 - eat lunch with the Morgster
After lunch - any deep cleaning or other projects that need to be done
                  - try to relax for a bit until the babies wake up
2:00 or so - Babies wake up from nap, get them fed and Morgan a snack and have some playtime for a while.
3:45 - Kendle gets home from school and feed her a snack and get her started on homework, piano, or whatever else she needs to do
4:30 or so - start dinner prep and try not to let the kids drive me crazy
5:30 or 6:00 - Dinner Time
After dinner - quiet time (or not so quiet time usually) Kids usually watch a movie, read books, or just play for a while. There are usually footballs and baseballs and soccer balls whizzing around.
8:00 - Bed time. We put all the kids to bed and by the time everything is said and done it is usually around 8:30. Kendle usually reads in bed for a while.
8:30 - Quick pick up of the house, putting things away and getting ready for the next day. Me and Riley finally get some quiet time to ourselves to talk, watch TV, and just relax.
10:00 - Bed time for me.

Now when I say that is a typical day, I guess that isn't entirely right. That's if I don't have to leave and go anywhere all day. Tuesdays and Thursdays Morgan has preschool so we have to adjust nap times and things like that a little bit those days. And when Kendle has sports practices, Activity Days, or piano lessons in the afternoons/evenings and Riley is coaching that moves things around as well.  But basically it just illustrates that as a mom, my days are usually entirely filled to the brim. Sometimes it can feel like a rat race. Other times it can feel like a great accomplishment.

There are some days where I don't feel like doing anything and a lot of stuff besides taking care of the kids gets thrown out of the window. I would have to say my least favorite time of day is while I'm trying to make dinner and the kids are complaining their starving and everyone's tired and it is really, really loud in our house. Like I'm sure everyone on the block can hear the noise coming from inside our home. My favorite time of day is when I get done working out, Morgan is watching cartoons or a movie, and the babies are still sleeping and the house is just quiet and Morgan and I can just eat lunch and relax for a bit together. I do love some quiet time to myself. I do love the occasional loud crazy fun family times too.

Well, I guess it's time to go sweep up the crumbs from snack time...............

9 comments:

PRP said...

Looks very familiar...:)

Anonymous said...

I wish for 830 bedtime around here. I think those days have been long gone. :(

NaDell said...

When do you shower?
That's a nice full day. It looks like you are handling four kids very well. =)

Nancie said...

funny, i always think eveyone does things the exact way I do, but nope, your day is a little diff than mine. good idea for a post. now I know the best time to call you on the phone! (instead of 4pm when its super crazy!)

Sarah said...

Na Dell-
Good question! It depends on the day, but usually I just get in my workout clothes when I get up in the morning so I can't talk myself out of it and then shower and get ready after I workout. It does put a slower start to my day, but it's what works best for me right now. If I have somewhere to go in the morning, I'll just get ready then.

Nan- Anytime you call around here it will be crazy. HA! It always sounds like a zoo. My mom says since we put the new floors in it sounds like I'm talking in a gymnasium when I'm on the phone.

Kris said...

I love that you have this schedule and that you stick to it. I bet your kids function so much better with that. Mine seems to be so different everyday....! I love my quiet time....especially these days...! So much to do and get done it's crazy!

tharker said...

This looks a lot like mine too. Although our babies are on a different sleep schedule, it looks like. Eva goes to bed at 7pm and wakes up at 7am.

She is totally ready for a nap by 9, and usally will sleep for an hour or a little longer. Lately she's been fighting her afternoon nap and I'm wondering if she's ready to go down to one long nap a day. Your babies' 3 hour nap sounds glorious!

Betsy said...

I think thats great that you have a good schedule, especially with Twins.
I have to tell you that Morgan is a crack up. I helped out in his class on Sunday, man that kid is cute and very funny.

::lindsay said...

The first thing I thought when i looked at your schedule was, "wow! I bet she loves that 3 hr nap!" I always love hearing what other people's schedules are like during the day. My mom constantly asks me what I do all day, like I'm sitting around eating bon bons or something. I just need to show her a schedule like yours so she understands that being a stay-at-home mom is work! You do it so well too!