Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




February 29, 2012

Miles and Miles

Here it is the last day of February and I was able to squeeze in a little more running and working out thanks to the extra day this month courtesy of Mr. Leap Year. I'm breaking in some new running shoes and trying out some new workouts to mix things up and keep my body and metabolism guessing. Results are slow and steady and I just keep at it.

I wanted to try and run on average 50 miles a month this year. As of today I am at 95 miles, and I probably could have eked out more if I hadn't gotten sick and felt so rotten a couple of those weeks. Still having trouble getting all the junk out my lungs and getting my full breathing capacity back so I've scaled back on the miles for the time being.

Started back up with some free weights and my arms and back are feeling better. I've been reading up on healthy fuel for the body to restore and replenish exhausted muscles after a hard workout and found that chocolate milk is one of the best things you can drink post workout. A glass of low-fat chocolate milk and a banana and peanut butter (the potassium from the banana helps prevent muscle cramps and the peanut butter just helps me get a little more protein) are one of my go-to snacks now to help make sure my muscles are getting the refueling they need.

My challenge for March is finding more healthy dinner ideas that the whole family will eat and planning them way ahead of time. We are jumping full throttle into Riley's high school soccer coaching season, Kendle's soccer season, added onto school, work, church, piano, and everything else. We've been in a food rut so hopefully I can overcome that in the next few weeks and make good things happen.

No comments: