Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




November 30, 2007

Civil War







For those of you who don't know, one of the biggest rivalries in college football is about to go down tomorrow. The Civil War game: Oregon State vs. University of Oregon. Even if you are not a college football fan, or a sports enthusiast in the slightest you have to appreciate this gut-wrenching rivalry that was first played out all the way back in 1894 and is the seventh-longest college football rivalry game in the United States. My family looks forward to this game all year long. Being the big Oregon State fans that we are, yes we care about the Beavers overall season record, but what ultimately matters most is if they beat the Ducks in the Civil War game. They call it the "Civil War" game because it is literally like when the north and south of our country were divided in war. Man against man, brother against brother, father against son. I know families that have fans on both sides and it is not pretty come game time. You can not be a wishy washy fan, you must choose sides. As statistics go it is usually the home team that wins, (all Civil War games since 1997 have resulted in a victory for the home team) my opinion being that the home fans are so wild and crazy that whoever hosts the game has the utmost advantage in rattling the other teams psychy. The games get so loud that the players can't hear anything out on the field. This year however, the home team might just lose. The Oregon Duck's lost their starting quarterback Dennis Dixon to an injury and he will not be playing. Yes, that gives the Beaver's a horribly unfair advantage but do I care? Heck no. This will be one of the low down, dirtiest, grittiest, hard fought games of the year and I will enjoy every minute of it. As Beaver fans well know, nothing ever is for certain where their victories are concerned, but (and I hope I'm not jinxing anything) I'm predicting they stomp those ducks into the ground and bring home another Civil War victory for the old Orange and Black.





8 comments:

Nancie said...

im a fan of OSU only because I ALMOST went there for vet school. But i could be a ducks fan because my cousin played VB there and i ran on the track once for state track meet. i think orange is a prettier color than green. Chalk me up for OSU fan.

Kris said...

Sarah, I'm in love with this post. Jack will love it too! GO BEAVS, stomp the Ducks. Beaver in the Car, Duck in the Trunk! Go OS and get the ducks head under water.

I feel much better now. :) I'm excited to watch the entire game and watch the Ducks Suffer. The game they played last weekend and they didn't even score a point?! Too funny! We should get together and watch it at one of our houses. The Beavers will win and will make all of us proud! Great POST!!!!!

dandee said...

Sounds like you're going to have an exciting day tomorrow. I hope your team wins!

tharker said...

I am so impressed with your Beavers/Ducks game history. I bet your husband is so proud to say that his wife is a college football fan! I love a good college football game where there is some sweet rivalry going on. Maybe we'll have to watch this one just to see how it goes down.

Marilyn said...

Kristen's enthusiastic comment totally cracks me up. Good luck to YOUR team!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you can just feel the tension in the air, can't you? My only concern is it doesn't look like Bernard will be playing either so it may be a more evenly matched game than it otherwise would have been. We're going to our friends house to watch it on their brand new fifty-whatever inch flatscreen. It's supposed to be an elder's quorum activity, but so far it seems to be just us and the Johnson's, which is a-okay because they're Beav fans too (although not quite as passionate haters of the Ducks as we are...). Huge Plus: the Elder's Quorum is paying for the BBQ food. Awesome.

Sarah said...

Deb-
that sounds like fun. Hope Rich doesn't blow a gasket during the game!

Katie said...

All I have to say is, GO COUGS! But..since they had their sweet victory last weekend, i'll root for our second favorite team:
GO BEAVS!