Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




January 31, 2008

Katie Tovey, what a lady

Today is my grandmother's 79th birthday. She is a woman that I sincerely admire and respect and I can barely keep up with her hectic lifestyle she's still leading. When I think of my grandmother I always think of self-less service. One of my favorite grandma Katie quotes is "If not me who? And if not now when?" in regards to service or getting a task done. Nothing I could write would do her justice, so I thought I'd just mention a few of my favorite things about her.

-She grew up on a ranch in Idaho and loved riding horses
-She always knows the blunt but tactful way to say things
-She makes THE BEST bread and rolls on the planet
-She is always thinking of others
-She raised 10 children and still had the energy to go to "Jazzercise"
-She makes everyone she comes in contact with feel valued and loved
-She is fun!
-She is a fantastic dancer
-She is always humming a tune as she's going about her days work
-She's taught me that no matter how rich or how poor you are, you still need to take care of what you have.
-She never forgets a birthday, and with a family as large as ours that's an amazing thing.
-She is stubborn and tough, but in a good way
-She always smells like fresh soap and flowers
-She always has an endless supply of treats and goodies for grandchildren and great-grandchildren
-She is a baby expert and I should be paying her instead of a pediatrician
-She never forgets a friend
-She makes 79 look GOOD!!!!!!









I know she will probably not get to read this, but for posterity's sake there it is. She is an incredible person and I hope to be half as great a grandmother someday!

7 comments:

Marilyn said...

She sounds amazing!

Kris said...

This is an awesome post. Sarah, your grandmother sounds like a gem. She is sweet, and I love all of the good qualities that you see in her. I'm willing to try any of those cinnamon rolls, whenever there are leftovers! That sounds yummy! Happy Birthday to Katie Tovey!

PDX Toveys said...

You should put this on the family web site! Couldn't have said it better! Her apple crisp and cinn. rolls are the best. Funny how those same qualities in grandma I see in our mom! I guess when you live 10 miles away from each other forever it's bound to happen. We're really lucky to have been able to be around the Tovey grandparents. A lot of kids grow up just seeing them on holidays and such...... we/you were for sure spoiled! haha

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Grandma Katie. From the second I joined the Tovey family, she made me feel just like one of her own grandkids. I think she is just a fantastic person in every way. Ohh, and what I wouldn't do for a bowl of her potato soup and a homemade roll. HEAVEN!

tharker said...

Happy birthday to your Grandma. She sounds wonderful. I want to have the energy to Jazzersize when I'm 79 too.

hatch said...

Your Grandma sounds like a really neat lady. She really does make 79 look great! I hope that she is able to see your wonderful tribute to her.

Nancie said...

What a special person. She is all that you said. She means much to all the people she "mothered" in our stake growing up. She basically kept my mom attending young womens as a kid and my mom attributes her testimony growth to that woman. Happy birthday sister tovey!