Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




May 12, 2008

Don't cut your kids hair on Mother's Day

We had kind of a traumatic experience yesterday morning. I decided that Morgan's hair was just getting way too long, mostly on the sides and in the back, so I persuaded Riley that we should trim it up a bit before church. This wasn't the first time we had cut his hair, I know a lot of parents wait until their baby is a year old, but I'm kind of particular (have an aversion to long hair on boys) so this would be the third time we've cut his hair. Let me just stress that I said "A BIT"!

I was sitting in a chair, holding Morgan in my lap and Riley was using his clippers and using one of the "bigger" attachments. He could only find two and so we went with the larger one. Well, as he took the first skim across Morgan's head I almost died as I watched the biggest chunk of gorgeous hair fall onto the floor. So if that was the larger attachment, I have no idea what the smaller one would have done, but all I know is that I was staring at a big old bald patch right on top of his head.

So we had two choices - leave the bald spot and let it grow back in and try and do the best job we could with just scissors trimming the back and sides, or just go for it and cut the rest super duper short. We chose the latter, and and my little son has pretty choir boy hair no more. It's shaved short and he looks a thousand times older and I'm still wanting to cry over it. In Riley's defense, he really didn't think it would be that short either, and he feels really bad about it. Here are the before and after pictures:



BEFORE:

























AFTER:





















It actually looks better in that picture and will probably look ok in the next few days. I know a lot of you moms are cringing right now because you've had similar experiences. I knew the day would eventually come where we'd just shave it off and do the big boy hair, but I was not ready for that yet. Especially on Mother's Day. All day long every time I'd glance at him I'd wonder where my Morgan boy went. It's amazing the difference a hair cut can make. I hope I feel better about it in a couple of days.


Oh well, hair cut or not, he's still a little menace.

13 comments:

PRP said...

He looks adorable! Not to worry, it always grows back.

tharker said...

He does look so cute. But I will say that he no longer looks like a baby. It's amazing to me how much older little boys look when you cut their hair.

I love it!

PDX Toveys said...

Jer and I did the exact same to Caleb when he was around 18 mos. That was the first/last time we tried to trim his hair. The clipper attachments are deceiving. Not to worry it will grow back.

Heather said...

Awww.... the haircut is cute, but I totally have had the "chunk falling panic" with haircutting.

Anonymous said...

the feeling hasn't gone away for me. every time i cut my little guy's hair he grows up. then as it grows back he looks younger again. what is your longest clipper? 8 is the biggest i have and even that seems too short on top for me. good thing is he won't need a haircut for a long time! positive, positive, positive! :)

Kris said...

I couldn't believe it either when I saw him at church yesterday. The hair is gone, and he looks like a toddler instead of a baby. I'm so sorry, and yes, I have been there with my boys. It's so traumatizing. But it will grow back and in 4 weeks he'll have long hair again. He's still cute though! Hope your day was good yesterday!

Lisa said...

If it makes you feel any better I didn't even notice when I saw him at church. (Although I just saw him when Riley took him zipping out of sacrament past me and my fussy baby.) He's such a cutie no matter what!

Jan said...

So funny Sarah. I remember those hair cutting events. We worry and then before we know it, the hair is back. He looks way cute though. I bet know one would know the secret of the Dodson haircutting tale.

::lindsay said...

I thought he looked adorable yesterday! It does make him look a little older though.

Katie said...

I love his short hair. Although, we're in the military, so I might be a little biased. :) I think he looks sweet as ever.

Nancie said...

morgie is cute no matter what. I always do the chop too. Im sure Tami hates when I do.but it always grows back no prob.

Marilyn said...

I love it, but then I'm a huge fan of very short hair on boys. I have them cut Ethan's hair with a #1 razor and he doesn't really love it, but I think it looks so good.

I cannot stand long hair on boys, CAN NOT STAND IT!

Anonymous said...

Yep, thank goodness hair grows back. We've had a number of "catastrophes" re: haircutes in our family.