Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




May 23, 2008

The Great Outdoors














Tomorrow we will pack up and head out to enjoy a weekend of camping. It's amazing how much "stuff" we "need" to take with us. I am really looking forward to getting away from the TV, computer, cell phone reception, neighbor kids, Sports Center, and the other day to day things that seem to whittle away at our time. We're planning some fishing (I bought my first fishing license), hiking, camp cooking, and just good old family togetherness. I'm not too sure how doing these activities with an almost 1 year old will turn out, but it's bound to be interesting. Especially now that Morgan thinks he's Mr. Independent and walks/runs everywhere. Kendle can't wait and I'm sure she's been dreaming of S'mores for the last few nights. Now, I like to be out in the fresh air and sleep in a tent and cook around the campfire and all that jazz, but this girl likes to be clean when she's camping. I'm glad we're staying somewhere where there are showers and bathrooms. I had my fill of enough yucky outhouses at Girls Camp growing up to last me a lifetime.

Here's a recipe I'm going to try out while we're there:


Peach Cobbler in a Can:

Remove the entire paper label from a can of sliced peaches in syrup (I'm going to use a can of peach pie filling, you could do this with any pie filling or fruit probably). Open the can and pour the syrup out into a cup. Sprinkle several tablespoons of dry Yellow Cake Mix onto the peaches in the can. Pour just a little of the syrup back over the peaches and dry cake mix. Add a dab of butter on top. Replace the lid on the can and then place the can onto a grate over a hot campfire. Let the cobbler cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, until the crust is crumbly and the peaches are bubbly. You can eat the cobbler out of the can with a spoon or pour onto a plate to share!

I'll share how that turns out. Next post will hopefully be on Tuesday with lots to share about our weekend.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a very fun time! Can't wait to hear all about it. See you in a few days. Hooray!

Heather said...

I LOVE that recipe.... we do it all the time in the dutch oven. Have fun!

Kris said...

I hope you guys are enjoying your time away from life and all of your responsibilities. That recipe looks so yummy! I can't wait to hear about it and for pictures too.

Kellie H said...

Hope your having fun!!
Oh I love the Sundays..song on your blog..reminds me of high school!
..I haven't forgotten about you! You will be receiving mail soon =)

tharker said...

Have fun camping!

I can't wait to hear how your recipe turned out. It sounds really yummy!