Everyone has their own stories and battle scars associated with being a mother. If anyone thinks it is easy, they have obviously never tried being one. It is the most challenging, humbling, scary, exhausting, mind boggling, heart wrenching, and difficult role to have. But it is also a more rewarding, fulfilling, joyful, fun, interesting, educational, and sacred experience than I could have ever imagined. It's like having pieces of your heart walking around outside of your body.

Someone once tried to make me feel belittled and embarrassed that I was "just" a mom. They tried to insult me that my life was boring and unimportant. Instead of feeling angry at this person, I just felt sad for them. If they could have only felt a little fraction of the joy and contentment I felt when I rocked my baby to sleep, or when I was the recipient of a tight little squeeze around the neck with chubby little arms, they might have had a different interpretation of what was important, and that there was nothing in the world that could have made me feel regretful that I was "just" a mom.
I feel a great responsibility on my shoulders to lead and guide my children and love them the best I can even on the bad days where I really need a nap, the house is a mess, I don't know what to cook for dinner, and there are 3 big baskets of laundry waiting to be folded so I can finish the other 10 loads still needing to be washed. Everyone has those days were you have to really dig deep and draw from your inner strength to get through the day and it is easy to become discouraged, but I am constantly surprised to find how much strength we as mothers possess when needed, and thankful for the knowledge that tomorrow is another day and we have the opportunity to start fresh again. I for one need my fair share of second chances.
The Journey of Motherhood for me has been life changing and everything I didn't know I wanted for myself. I truly believe there is a purpose and a reason for the things that happen to us; lessons are learned, loved ones are found, new adventures begin. I am far from perfect and find myself lacking in many qualities I would like to possess, but it is my hope that someday my children will have an assurity that they're mother prayed in thankfulness for them, treasured them, felt joy to be with them, and loved them with all of her heart.
To all the Mother's out there who are not "just" moms,
have a Happy Mother's Day.



13 comments:
"Just Perfect Sarah". I am so happy to have read your wonderful words. It was very uplifting and a great reminder of the importance of it all. It is not just a JUST...
Have a wonderful weekend with your family.
Sarah, you are amazing. I truly admire so many aspects about you. I loved when you told me how Riley is so supportive of you being a Mom and was proud to tell people that his wife has that job. It's so rewarding to be fulfilled in life by having children. I love these pictures of you. You are a great mom. You have so much love, patience, kindness, and enthusiasm about being life. Your kids are so lucky. I hope you have a great weekend!
happy mother's day sarah! your story reminds me a bit of one of my fav. songs. "god bless the broken road, that led me straight to you" by r.f. all you ladies enjoy your weekend and let your families pamper you like you deserve. we are lucky ladies! :)
Happy Mother's Day Sarah! Loved this post, you are an amazing example of a mother. Thank you!
So true, I love everything you said.
And I love your hair in the picture with Morgan!
Yea, thanks for making me almost (ok maybe a little) cry at work! I am proud of you sis and your family! I'm glad to see some of mom has rubbed off on you! See you all tomorrow....
Jer
Beautiful post Sarah! I love the way you wrote this. Happy Mother's Day to you!
Beautiful words Sarah. I used to hate the question, "So what do you do?" because I always felt like when I told them that I was a stay at home mom that they were judging me. Then I always got(and still do) the response, "Wow, your hands are full!" I've started answering back, "Yes they are. And I like it that way."
I loved the pictures of you and your kids. I second Heather, you hair looks gorgeous in the one with Morgan.
I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day Sarah!
Thanks for this great reminder of how wonderful it is to be a mother-I needed it. You literally brought tears to my eyes. Happy Mother's Day to you!
It's been such a pleasure to have been around you as you made that transition from "college kid" to "amazing wife and mom". I've found it essential to bond with other "just moms" for that extra pick-me-up that we all need every now and again. I LOVE YOU!
I loved this post! You always have so much insight. Have a wonderful mothers day!
Wow! This was so beautifully written! Great post and a great reminder to all of us!
You're gorgeous in your pics, always are!! Cute kiddos, too.
Happy Mother's Day!
Soooo WISE. We think youre a super mom and wife. Happy Mothers day!
Post a Comment