
Yesterday we attended her open house to get better acquainted with her new teacher (who seems fabulous) and look around the classroom a bit. Riley went to school with her and her husband and she seems so friendly and her class was decorated really cute. Kendle loved the reading nook and the big map of the United States on the wall. We found her desk with her name tag on it and put her school supplies away inside of it. She was thrilled.
This morning we woke up really early and had lots of extra time before school started. I am not a morning person at all, but I know if I got up that half-hour earlier everyday during the school year it would make a huge difference. We didn't know what do with ourselves, we read some Scriptures, Kendle wrote in her journal, I checked my email and then FINALLY (according to Kendle) it was time to go.
The school parking lot, actually the 1 mile radius around the school, was a complete zoo. People are cut throat and ruthless when it comes to dropping their kids off in the morning. There wasn't a parking spot to be found, so I pulled up to the front drop off zone and let her out and away she went in all of her first day of school glory. Not even a look back or a wave I tell you. I watched her for a minute or two, she put her backpack by her classroom door, found some friends, and couldn't have cared less that her worry wart of a mom was sitting in the car waiting to make sure she was alright before heading back into the throng of aggressive drivers. I'm glad she's so independent, but sheesh not even a wave.
One of our other first day of school traditions is to have a special dinner. So tonight it is Kendle's choice. What did she pick? French toast. So we will be having french toast, eggs, and hash browns for dinner. She was so excited to see on our weekly menu on the fridge that I had written "Kendle's Choice" for Wednesday night's meal. I love that little things like that make her happy.
So do you have any first day of school traditions. If so, what are they?


13 comments:
How cute does Kendle look with her adorable shirt and side pony tail?
(Really, that shirt is SO cute!)
Our school parking lot was a mess today too. You're totally right about how ruthless people are in mornings.
Kendle sounds so much like Hannah in the independance department. I don't think I got a wave last year either. And this year, I just got a "bye Mom". Why do they have to grow up??
Okay, so I didn't see her other pig tail. I only saw one and thought she had a side pony, but still the pig tails are darn cute :)
We always do the picture thing too. I can't believe she's already in school. What's the deal with not just waiting until after Labor Day? Zack starts this coming Tuesday, and Maelin will start her last year of preschool the following Monday (oh, what a long week it will be next week!).
I know Deb, kind of silly right? Especially becuase today (and every other Wed.) they have early release. We won't get the feel of a real week until the week after Labor Day.
so cute. im loving school already. Same traditions here!
we do pictures too and i took g to mc'ds after school for a happy meal. i like that the 1st day is 1/2 day and that this week and next are short. i think it get's both myself and the kids use to the new schedule without the full overkill week. gives us one last hur-rah! i guess a traditon is dad goes into work late on our kid's 1st day of school so we can all be there together. long comment, but i saw kendle this morning at school... she told me the king of the school is spirit. hmm, now let me think, oh ya, the school mascot. right you are kendle,right you are! :)
ps.check out today's pix on my blog...
She looks so cute- and so ready! Hope she loves 1st grade!
She looks adorable. I love the green shirt too. How fun. I hope that her first day with Mrs. M was great. She is a wonderful teacher and I'm sure Kendle will love her. That parking lot was CRAZY. I had to park all the way on the street. I love all of your traditions. So fun. We got some of the same here, but I think we need to add some to our list.
Kendle is beautiful. She looks so tan!
Ryan blesses the children the Sunday before school starts. I get teary everytime. It's a very sacred tadition in our home.
Sarah, she is adorable. I love that shirt on her. She is packed and ready to learn. She may not like the traditions now, but wait until she is older. She will understand how blessed she was. How did the French toast supper turn out? I hope it was great.
What a cutie. I love her green shirt.
One of our traditions is that I take them to school on the first day and help them get settled in their classroom, and meet their teacher.
We also have a big yummy breakfast!
Who is Mrs. M? Riley went to school with her? Now I have to know 'cause I'm sure I know her too!
Post a Comment