*Being the obsessive list maker that I am, I made an itinerary for every day we'd be there so we would have ideas of what to do instead of sitting around asking ourselves what to do. That turned out to be a great help. I wrote down places to visit, hours they were open, rates to get in, all the info. and it saved us a ton of time. Never knowing what the weather will do at the coast, this left us lots of room to be flexible.
Monday I had wanted to leave by 8:00, I knew that was a lofty goal, but we did end up leaving around 8:45 so not bad. We made it to The Dalles and stopped for an early lunch. Then we got back on the road and made a planned stop at Multnomah Falls. I thought it would be a good way to get the kids out of the car and get some exercise before our last leg of the trip. No matter how many times I've been there, it still amazes me how beautiful the setting and the sound of the falls are. It was a beautiful day and Kendle really wanted to hike up to the bridge, so Riley took her up there while I got Morgan out of his stroller and let him run around a bit. He saw a squirrel and almost caught it. He thought it was really funny. Here are some pictures I took:



It was a fun break, and on the way back to the car we stopped at the little visitor's center to grab Kendle some maps to look at. I think she's inherited my crazy love for maps and they keep her entertained. From there we didn't stop again until we got to Tigard to get some more gas. Morgan has turned into a not so great traveler. He has started screaming in the car and it is really annoying. He did not do much sleeping in the car, so we did lots of singing and clapping. We probably sang Bingo and Twinkle Twinkle little star a hundred times.
We finally made our way out of the forest and to Lincoln City where we could see the ocean. That always gets everyone excited and happy. It was a really nice day. We were staying in Newport, so we drove on farther south. We made it to our hotel, checked in, relaxed for a bit, cleaned up, and then headed back north a few miles to Depot Bay for some dinner. We went here:
Gracie's Sea Hag has the best Clam Chowder on the Oregon Coast, it is world famous and rightfully so. If you were just passing by, you might think it's just some hole-in-the-wall restaurant, but nothing compares. I'd been looking forward to that clam chowder for months. YUM! After dinner we walked around a bit and ended up in one of those totally overpriced but very alluring candy shops and picked out some assorted salt water taffy and caramel corn. Double yum!
After getting back to the hotel we decided to go swimming and it was a lot of fun, not to mention a great way to tire the kids out more. I swear if I ever get a million dollars I will build my dream home with a huge track and make my kids run laps at night before bed, they have way too much energy. I sat in the hot tub and tried to soak all of my cares away. The children's laughter and squeals filled my ears, and I had to smile as I watched them swim and wrestle with their dad. Our vacation was off to a good start.



10 comments:
glad you were able to get away with just the 4 of you :)
We go to Gracie's to for clam chowder. How funny. Glad you had some fun Sarah. The Ocean is so uplifting to a person. It really is quite inspiring to our spirits that lingers for quite awhile.
You are so right about the falls. Everytime we are that way I have to stop. It's just so beautiful!
We'll have to go there sometime. You are so right about a track... we need one too.
I love the way you write Sarah. It's entertaining and very real. Your personality really shines through. I love the idea about the track, and everything looks fun. Glad you guys had a great start to your first ever family trip!
I love the way you write Sarah. It's entertaining and very real. Your personality really shines through. I love the idea about the track, and everything looks fun. Glad you guys had a great start to your first ever family trip!
Oh, it sounds like a great start to the trip. I must go to Gracie's sometime. I love me some good clam chowder.
Sounds like you're off to a great start! We've never taken a vacation with just our little family and it's something I really want to do. Good for you for starting a new tradition.
Vacationing on the coast is always a bit of a gamble weather wise. You were wise to have a list of things to do, I think.
I gotta say - I love seafood but have never been a fan of clam chowder.
Amen to the track idea.
my mom always planned vacations like that too. im sure kendle will always remember the trips to the coast!
Post a Comment