Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




October 16, 2008

A new family favorite

A few weeks ago, we went to the library and brought home this book:






















I had been wanting to read this with Kendle for a while, but I am trying to get out of my habit of buying lots of expensive books, therefore we had to wait behind many other requests from the library to finally get our chance to read it. And I am glad to say it was worth the wait.

This is a story about a china rabbit named Edward Tulane who belongs to a little girl named Abilene. One day, he is lost over the side of a boat into the ocean and his journey begins. He encounters many different people who take him in and care for him and fix him up. Edward is exposed to some of the harsh realities and cruelties of the world, but slowly learns what it means to really love someone and to never give up on love and being loved.

There were parts of this book that had me kind of choked up, but also other parts that made us laugh. Kendle really enjoyed me reading this out loud to her before bed and would beg for just one more chapter every time I would start to close the book. I always appreciate when a book is entertaining, but also teaches children good lessons and makes them think about life in a different way.

So if you're looking for a good book to read with your children, give Edward Tulane a try.

3 comments:

Kris said...

This looks really good. Lucky for me I'm off to the library today. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be in....! :) You always have such good book recommendations.

tharker said...

This looks like a great book Sarah. Next time we're there I'm going to pick this one up. Thanks for the tip!

Jan said...

That looks like a really cute book. I know so many love good introductions to literacy. So good on ya.