Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




June 5, 2009

Finally some sort of Organization

For the last few months I've been wanting to help Kendle's disaster of a room become more organized, specifically her closet and her mass of clothes that seemed to be spilling from every available space. I am not exagerating in the least when I say it was like a war zone in there. I should have taken some before and after shots. Her dresser was one of Riley's old ones that we had painted and fixed up but the drawers were really hard to open and falling apart. I figured, how can I expect Kendle to keep her room clean when she doesn't even have a good place to put her clothes away? So yesterday I moved out her old dresser from her closet and replaced it with one of these:





















The baskets are way larger than her original drawer space and I think this will be one of the best purchases I've made in a while. I labeled each basket so she can easily see what goes where and made one basket specifically just for play clothes, which in itself will be huge laundry/time saver because if ever there was a little girl who is rough and tough on her clothes it is her. She is old enough now that I've been trying to promote a lot of self responsibility in taking care of her own things and since I just made her up a new chore chart, I wanted her to be able to start off with a clean slate. I found a really cute "responsibility" chart that has a place for weekly chores and daily chores from this article on I'm an organizing Junkie.

Here are the links she provided if you want to print your own off:

Girls Chart
Boys Chart

Kendle's daily chores are:
Make her bed
Tidy up bathroom
Let Bogie (our dog) out to play and make sure he has food
Play with Morgan or read him a story
Put dirty clothes/shoes away
Tidy bedroom before bed

Kendle's weekly chores:
Empty bedroom garbage
Sort laundry
Wash sliding door
Weed/Help pick up yard
Help clean out car
Clean room well (which I told her if she is doing her daily chores like she should this won't be a big job because it will already be clean)

I'm hoping some of these things will just become routine. I may be aiming a little high giving her so many things, but I think she is capable of doing it since she already does a lot of them anyways. Now I just need to get the rest of my house in shape. It seems like every time I get one room under control, the rest of the house decides to look like a tornado came through. :)

3 comments:

hatch said...

I hear you on the one room under control and the rest of the house looking like a tornado. So true. I love organizing. So much fun! Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

I love a good clean organized room. We took a parenting class (on our own free will, not court-ordered - ha!) a couple of years ago and they suggested instead of a "long" chore list, to pick one thing and work on only that for a week or two (with something like a sticker chart method) and then once that becomes just habit to pick a different thing and do that for a week or two, etc. We've done it a few times and it worked super - it was a lot less overwhelming than a whole list of stuff to keep track of (for both us and the kids). Just a suggestion...

Kris said...

I finally cleaned Sydnee's room on Saturday and it feels so good. Now all I need is some organization for all of her stuff. My house always looks like a tornado.