Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




August 20, 2009

Summer Recipes

My zucchini plant has been growing like a large monster this summer and I've been making zucchini bread like it's going out of style. I just made another batch on Tuesday, and still have more grated zucchini waiting in my fridge to make about six more loaves. Kendle loves the stuff and eats it about as fast as I can make it. I've been stowing the extra loaves in the freezer to pull out at a later time. The batch I made on Tuesday was pumpkin zucchini bread and I think I like that the best. I just have a thing for pumpkin flavored breads, cookies, cakes, etc.....

I used this recipe and thought it turned out pretty well. I added a little more zucchini to mine though (just because I had so much to use up). This makes a really moist yummy bread:

Pumpkin Zucchini Bread
3 eggs lightly beaten
2 cups sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

*Directions: In a mixing bowl combine eggs and sugar. Add pumpkin, butter and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and gradually add to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Stir in zucchini and nuts. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in x 5-in x 3-in. loaf pans ( I used one of my bigger loaf pans and two really small ones). Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until breads test done. Cool in pans 10 minutes and then remove to wire cooling rack.


I've also been anticipating getting some rhubarb from my mom so I can try out this recipe my Aunt Alaina posted on our family web page for Rhubarb Custard Cake:


Rhubarb Custard Cake
White cake mix
3-4 cups rhubarb mixed with 1 1/2 cups sugar
1 pint heavy whipping cream

*Directions: Make cake mix according to directions on box and put in a greased 13x15 pan (if you don't have a pan that size you can adjust this to use a different size). Sprinkle the rhubarb/sugar over the cake mix.Pour the pint of cream over the top - don't mix it in. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until lightly brown on top and cake is pulling away from the edges.

Another family member on the web page commented that they also tried this with peaches and it was equally delicious.

Do you have anything yummy you've been making this summer?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooo - that does sound yummy! I'll have to give that last one a whirl. I have a whole bunch of blackberries that need to be used...

Kris said...

I am missing out on the zucchini this summer, since i didn't plant any. These recipes sound so good. Love the idea of the pumpkin added to it! I don't have any fun recipes.

tharker said...

Those both sound so yummy. I made myself a Pumpkin Cake for my birthday, and I never would have thought to add zucchini to it. It sounds delicious!