Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




April 14, 2010

After School Experiment


This week I am trying something new. An experiment of sorts.



Problem:
Kendle is really grumpy and doesn't want to talk when she gets home from school. I have had it with the after school drama and bad moods.


Experiment:
Can I create a more positive after school experience?


Possible Solutions:
-Special snacks

-One on one time

-More structure


Hypothesis:
By creating a more inviting atmosphere, Kendle will look forward to coming home and talking about her day.



{I actually got this idea from my mom. We were discussing how sometimes I dread the after school hours because the minute Kendle walks through the door she is kind of negative and not being her usual happy self. She's moody, starts fighting with her brother, and so on. My mom suggested that maybe she needed a little something extra to look forward to when she walked through the front doors and that she might be hungry and have low blood sugar which affects your moods. I thought it was worth trying. I will say, that I usually welcome her home and offer a snack but I can definitely improve in being more attentive and spending some time together even if it's just for a few minutes right after she gets home.}


Yesterday was my first day to try this out. I made some really yummy cookies that I knew she would like. They were hot out of the oven and the house smelled really good when she came home after piano. We munched on some cookies and milk and talked about school, homework, who said what that day in class, how piano lessons went, and some other little details about her day. Then while I finished baking cookies I had her explain out loud to me her math homework and walk me through the steps as she completed the problems. I told her if she got every single problem right when I went back through and double checked them she could stay up a half hour later that night. She loves a challenge and was excited to go back through and made sure they were all right and they were. I would say it was a success for the first day of the experiment. Today will be on a different scale since it is early release and not my favorite day, but we'll see if we can keep the positivity going.


Written down, these sound like such simple things to do don't they?


Conclusion on Day 1 -
Never underestimate the power of home made cookies.

4 comments:

tharker said...

Cookies fresh out of the oven is always a winner!

Josh comes home with this same attitude many days. I think the problem for him is that he comes home from a long day at school and knows he's going to have to jump right into his homework and reading. So I try to give him a little more time to unwind when he gets home. Usually after a snack and a few minutes to do whatever it is that he wants, he's ready to go again.

Hannah, on the other hand comes straight home, grabs her snack and goes right to work on her homework. Again, it just teaches me that each our my kids need something different and learn best in different ways.

I think it's great that you're paying attention to what Kendle needs. I think this will be so good for her.

PRP said...

I was just thinking that I should make some cookies and offer them up to my kids BEFORE I start in on them about the state of their rooms...cookies solve everything!

Good for you for being so aware of Kendle's needs and doing everything you can to help. You are a wonderful mother.

Kris said...

Kendle's reaction the second she walked in the door yesterday was priceless. She knew exactly what you had been baking just for her all day. That was so cute. Sounds like your experimenting is off to a great start!

Anonymous said...

Homemade cookies always improve my mood!