Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




April 20, 2010

Did My Experiment Work?

Last week I did this.

I have to say that it ended up being a super positive experience overall. I felt like we had a much happier after school time and a more productive after school time.

I made a big effort to let Kendle know I was excited for her to be home and tell me about her day. The funny thing I didn't expect to happen from that, was that Morgan started getting excited for her to get home too and would rush up to meet her at the door and say "Kendle's home!" A few times he even gave her a hug. This steam rolled into them actually getting along better than normal the whole week and even playing together better. Baby steps, baby steps.

I made an effort to provide a yummy snack and inviting atmosphere instead of being preoccupied with something else and having her go raid the fridge and the pantry to find something. I realize there will be days when this won't be possible, but the more often the better.

I also started asking better questions, not just "what happened at school today?" Here were some good ones that got her talking:

-Did you learn anything new today that you didn't know before?
-Who did you see today that you don't see very often?
-What was your favorite assignment in class?
-What was the weather like at recess?
-Did anything make you laugh today?

It is crazy how fast Kendle is growing up. In a few short years she will be doing sports and things right after school and won't get home until almost dinner time and I know I'll wish we could have some of these quiet afternoons back. Well, as quiet as it gets with three little brothers around.........................

4 comments:

PROUD MOMMY said...

Dear Sarah,

I think you're such a great mom and you inspire me to be a better mom.

Kris said...

These are great questions, besides "How was your day?" I've noticed my kids need more specific questions to answer too. Thanks for this idea. Glad your experiment worked out so well! I agree with proud mommy. You are doing a great job!

Cajsa said...

That's awesome. Now I think I must pull myself away from all my "activities" to greet my kids. Anything to stop the fighting! Not sure how I feel about making snacks though. It's enough just to get dinner on the table by 7:00...

Marilyn said...

Thanks Sarah for the inspiration. I don't have super grumpy children after school, but I am often distracted right when they get home and I think they deserve my undivided attention. I'm going to adopt some of your ideas!

You are AWESOME!