Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




December 15, 2010

Come back little brain cells, I need you

There is always that old joke that once you start having kids they literally suck the smarts right out of you. Your once quick mind starts getting reduced to mush and you experience agonizingly slow moments of trying to remember things.

Why did I walk into this room?

What is that woman's last name?

Where did I put that random miscellaneous household item?


We try to cram so much into our brains in so many different compartments and are expected to analyze and withdraw that information at lightning speed whenever needed. At any given moment I can find myself multi-tasking five different things and only paying semi-attention to any of them. My brain is exhausted! Here is evidence of that:

On Sunday I wore two different earrings to church. I didn't even realize it until about mid-way through sacrament meeting. Luckily I have long hair that kind of hides things like that or it would have been really embarrassing. I think I was trying two different ones on to see which looked better and then got pulled away to do something else and then just never remembered to go back and change earings. I don't think anyone noticed, but I seriously felt like I was losing it a little.

Then last night I decided to make some hot chocolate for Riley who had been out working in the cold and the wind getting all of their soccer gear cleaned out down at the high school field. I plugged in my little cocoa maker, added the ingredients, and listened to it whirl away. I thought Kendle was just being her usual picky self when she said she didn't like it. Then when Riley got home and I poured him a big mug full, I could tell by his face something was wrong. He asked, "Was there still soap in this mug or something?" I took a big sip and my lips curled back in disgust. Then I realized instead of just adding 5 teaspoons of cocoa powder, I added 5 tablespoons. Yuck! When I was adding the ingredients I was also getting kids snacks, fending off babies that pulled the baby gate down and got in the kitchen and probably five other things. That is what happens when you are not paying full attention to what you are doing!

So today I am literally going to be trying to gather my wits about me. HA!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is funny about Riley and picky kendle. I'm sure buddy the elf wouldve loved it!:):) I've worn one earring before and two different tennis shoes...in my defense not on the same day.:) stay sharp sarah, stay sharp.

Anonymous said...

At least there is a whole club of us who can empathize with your lack of brain power. I feel it happening to me all the time.

tharker said...

I love the hot chocolate story! We've all done it before. Last week the kids and I were making sugar cookies and I gave each of them a scoop of dough to munch on before we started to roll them out. Same look of disgust from every one of them. Then I tasted it and YUCK! When I looked at my recipe, I realized that I had 2 recipes cards, one on top of the other. One of the recipe cards had a number 2 on it, and was placed perfectly next to the 1/4 tsp of salt needed for my cookie recipe. So, naturally when I read the recipe I put in 2 1/4 tsp of salt! It was so disgusting!! Thankfully we noticed before baking and were able to start a new batch.

So long story short...(too late for that now) you're not alone, my friend.

Kris said...

I think you did a post about this back when you were at the end of your pregnancy with the twins! It just makes me laugh! We've all been there! The hot cocoa sounds nasty! How funny! One time when I was working while I was pregnant with Tyler I wore a black and a brown shoe...! Fun times!

momtovey said...

Tamra, oh I mean Sarah, you are so funny! Haha!

momtovey said...

Tamra, oh I mean Sarah, you are so funny! Haha!