Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




December 1, 2010

Yummy Cookie Recipe

Since it is December 1st, I thought I would share one of my most favorite holiday cookie recipes that always manage to bring a smile to my family member's faces and a warm inviting feeling to our home.

I had some family members ask for this recipe after I made these over Thanksgiving. These are seriously addicting. It's one of those no-fail anyone can make them type recipes. I always debate on what to call them though. Sometimes I refer to them as molasses cookies, sometimes as gingerbread cookies. Regardless, they will make your home smell like a heavenly Christmas bakery and that in itself is motivation enough for me to make them this time of year. Coincidentally, I just remembered my wooden Christmas sign I have hanging in the kitchen says:       

"Kringle's Bakery
Gingerbread, Cookies & Scones."


I guess I'm living up to at least half of that.

If you want a thinner chewier cookie (which my hubby prefers) you can use a 1/2 cup less flour. These should be soft and chewy cookies so you don't want to over bake them, but if you like a crunchier version (like my dad) that resemble more of a ginger-snap, feel free to bake a minute or two longer. 

And if you're feeling a little more naughty than nice, try spreading some whipped cream or frosting on these babies. Wow - that makes one delectable little treat.

Enjoy!




Gingerbread/Molasses Cookies
3/4 cup margarine, melted
1 cup white sugar (I like to substitute brown sugar as well)
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
*1/2 cup white sugar

Mix together the melted margarine, 1 cup sugar, and egg until smooth. Stir in the molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger and then blend into the molasses mixture. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour. (The longer it chills the easier it is to handle since it tends to be a sticky dough.)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll dough into small balls and then roll them into remaining white sugar. Place cookies onto ungreased baking sheets. (The recipe says ungreased, but I actually spray mine a bit anyways)

Bake for 8-10 minutes until tops are slightly cracked. Cool on wire racks.


*These also store extremely well either in a cookie jar or frozen for later and they make great gifts.*

7 comments:

Nancie said...

yum. havent had those in a long time!

Anonymous said...

Yep- they were delicious. Very Christmassy.

Anonymous said...

I can almost taste them! I enjoy baking. Do you have an amazing sugar cookie/frosting recipe you could send my way?

hatch said...

Yum!!!
I am going to have to try this.
Thanks Sarah.

tharker said...

These look so yummy!!!

Kris said...

Delish. I better get baking!

PDX Toveys said...

The. BEST. cookies. I can't wait to make them. Thanks for the recipe! ~Molly