Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




October 13, 2008

Spontaneous Weekend Trip

Friday I decided that I would go with my mother on a whirlwind extravaganza the next day to see this little guy for his birthday, and go with my brothers and my sister-in-law Debbie to the Oregon State vs. Washington State Football game.

Saturday morning Riley called me from his hunting spot (it was opening day and he had left our house around 4:00 am) to wake me up around 6:10. Luckily I had packed up the kids stuff the night before because I'm not in any way, shape, or form a morning person. We got loaded up in the car still in our pj's and headed to Irrigon to hook up with my mom. After transferring all of our stuff to her car we headed off down the road. It is always fun to travel with my mom because we can talk non-stop the whole way. Sometimes that causes us to miss the right exit or road, but it is fun.

Our first stop was in Albany to see my little brother's house he's renting at school and change our clothes. Their house is really cute and in a good location. Not bad for a bunch of poor college kids. Tucker came with us and we drove to Corvallis to Debbie's mom and dad's house, which is quickly becoming the Corvallis hang-out spot. They were having a birthday party for my nephew Zack before the football game and we ate pizza and cake and visited with her family. They are a great bunch. Tamra was also there and it was good to see her. Zack got to have a neat football cake:




















He is a really good kid and Rich and Deb didn't tell him Kendle was coming. He thought that was a good surprise. Kendle loves her cousins so much. She had a great time playing and running around the Davis' house and yard with all of the kids. Morgan enjoyed himself as well:















My mom was super enough to stay and help out watching kids so that I could go to the football game. It was a perfect day to be in Corvallis, Oregon. Walking through the gorgeous campus to the stadium was the epitome of what a perfect fall day should look like. The sun was shining, the grass was green, and all of the huge trees and foliage were showing off their beautiful colors. It was stunning. We sat in good seats and enjoyed the lovely weather. It was a really fun game, although WSU got another severe beating and it was almost too sad to watch towards the end. Final score OSU 66, WSU 13.

Here are some pictures from the game:
















































Oregon State fans rock! (On a slightly unrelated note, on the drive down I saw a bumper sticker that read, "Short people rock". We thought that was hilarious and I told my mom she needs to get one for her car.)

After the game we made the hike back through campus to Jer's car and went back to pick up the kids. We packed them up and went over to see Tamra for a bit. She sat in the student section during the game so we didn't see her there. She is doing well and enjoying the college life, especially since she does not have to take any more math. Yay for that!

We were pretty tired after we got back on the road and we made it to Hood River before we had to stop and get a pop and a snack so we could stay awake. Driving always feels like it takes forever when you are really tired. The kids slept almost the whole way back to my parents house. We made it by about 12:45, me and the kids just stayed the night there and got up and drove home the next day before church. I was EXHAUSTED, but it was well worth it. Have I caught up on my sleep yet? Not quite, but it was really fun and I'm glad I was able to spend time with my siblings. Watching the Beaver's kick some booty was just the icing on the cake.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks SO MUCH for coming down. I know what an exhausting drive that is. It was so fun to see you all. Can't wait until Christmas when we all meet again!

tharker said...

66 to 13! Holy cow! Josh's teacher is an avid Cougar fan, but even she told me that she's a bit embarrased for her Cougs this year ;)

Your quick trip sounds like it was so much fun!

Kris said...

Your description of Fall in Corvallis gives me goose bumps. It makes me miss living on Campus on Game Day. Ooh, I LOVE IT there.

I'm so glad that you were able to go and be with your family. How fun for your kids to see their cousins and for you to spend some good quality football time with your siblings. Your mom is so awesome to watch the kids. Love that! Glad you got back safe and sound.

PROUD MOMMY said...

what a fun trip! once i saw a tee shirt that said: I'm not miniature, I'm FUN size! I almost bought it for myself...but I realized I'm a bit old for novelty tees. ha.

Jan said...

That is such beautiful country. I think Corvallis is just gorgeous. How fun for you guys.

Love all the pictures too Sarah. You are such a great gal. I can just tell from your comments and your life. I really appreciate you. Did you know that?

Sarah said...

Thanks Jan, you're pretty awesome yourself! That made my day.

Julie said...

if you find that bumper sticker, get one for me too!