Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




February 5, 2009

Fun Valentine's Day Ideas

I have been having a crazy busy week so today I wanted to post some fun things. I've been seeing so many adorable Valentine's Day craft ideas out there - it is crazy how creative people are! I'm getting inspired to do something fun like these. I thought I'd share some of my favorite's:


*This MP3 Valentine is so cool:











Use a box of candy conversation hearts, some scrapbook paper, string, two mini peanut butter cups, and this printout. I think it's genius. You can find the full instructions at Family Fun. They also have a ton of more valentine's crafts you can print out here.


*Printable Cards:

I have seen so many cute FREE printable cards for the kids to use out there. I think these creative folks are pretty generous with their talents. Kendle would love these particular cards because one of her favorite Beatles songs is "All You Need is Love". So cute:















You can click here to download your free template. She also has a zebra and a sweetheart card template that are equally fun. Glue them to the front of a box of candy hearts and you have instant Valentine goodness. All these are found at Bunny Cakes.


*Candy Cane Hearts:

If you have leftover candy canes from Christmas (or if you're like me you have a whole box of mini candy canes leftover) this is a super great idea to get rid of some of those. You only need those little lollipop sticks to go with this.




















Place candy canes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Remember to leave enough room for the sticks. Bake at 300 degrees for ABOUT 5 minutes. All ovens are different so watch closely until you decide the right time for your oven. Bake until you just see the candy cane melt. Place a stick in the candy canes. Pinch candy canes around the stick. The candy canes and pan will be hot so be very careful.



















Once completely cool you can wrap them up and you have cute treats! Thanks to Skip to My Lou for this cute idea.



















*Flower Arrangement:

I thought this Valentine's Day flower arrangement from Martha Stewart was gorgeous! I love the addition of the red hots, I am a bit partial to the color red after all:





















Also, these folding envelope hearts are just what I was looking for to use as invitations:


















*Here's an idea I had:

Take an extra picture frame or buy an inexpensive one (a shadow box would be neat as well) and fill it with special keepsakes and mementos from your husband. I've saved letters that Riley wrote to me while we were dating, little cards that have come with flowers he's bought me, movie stubs, concert tickets, pictures - whatever might be special to the two of you. Arrange them in an attractive way in a frame and then display it in your home. Your kids would probably think it is neat to look at some of those things too and it could be a good reminder of all of the special times you've had.

*One year for Valentine's Day Riley and I stayed up really late the night before blowing up tons and tons of red and pink balloons that we put in Kendle's room while she was sleeping. When she woke up in the morning she was surrounded by balloons and a "Happy Valentine's Day" sign was on her door. She thought that was the coolest thing and was so surprised. She still talks about that one.

I love Valentine's Day - I think it is just one of the most fun holidays and a chance to make everyone in your family feel special.

9 comments:

Jan said...

That is a whole lot of linky love going on there. Great ideas and I can feel how much Valentines Day means to you.

Anonymous said...

Love those candy cane hearts! Great idea.

hatch said...

We love Valentines Day at our house too! The ballon idea is so cool. How magical for a kid. Thanks for all the fun ideas Sara!

Marilyn said...

Awesome ideas Sarah. I love the balloon idea and I think I might try to adapt something like this for my favorite people!

tharker said...

I love the printable cards! Do you think my kids would go for those this year instead of High School Musical and Transformers??? I hope so!!

PRP said...

Such great ideas. I love the balloon idea and the printable cards are adorable.

You're so clever!

Kris said...

So many cute ideas Sarah. I like your idea of the picture frame with the little cards and stuff. So smart. Love the balloons too. That's just fun. Thanks for sharing all of your creative links and ideas.

momtovey said...

Thanks Sarah, I am going to steal a few of those ideas as well. You are so crafty!

Lisa said...

You always have great ideas. Thanks for sharing them so we can copy!