Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




September 2, 2010

Nature's Bounty

This year I decided since I was so busy I would only plant a few little vegetable plants and call it good. I am a low maintenance type of gal and I don't really like to mess around with high maintenance plants. I planted two tomato plants, one zucchini, and one yellow zucchini squash. Four plants total. I didn't even plant a cucumber like I usually do so I can make this summer favorite. I literally put the plants in the ground and basically forgot about them. Someday I would love to have a huge garden I can tend when I have the time to devote to it.

This year we have had an overabundance from these four little plants. Huge plump tomatoes. Juicy little baby tomatoes. Crisp yellow squash. Ginormous zucchini on steroids. I think we have some good soil where we live since it used to be all farmland, maybe there are still some rich nutrients left in the soil. Whatever it is, I loved going out with the help of my little farmer boy Morgan and gathering up big bowl fulls of ripe veggies. My plants have produced more this year than ever before. I love summer tomatoes and I can eat them up almost as fast as I can pick them. They have literally been little miracle plants, it seems like the moment I pick one there is another ripe one in it's place.




Every summer I never ceased to be amazed at watching what can come forth from a tiny little plant.

It is a good reminder to me that from small beginnings can come great things.

7 comments:

::lindsay said...

Okay, I'm feeling like the biggest gardening loser right now. My zucchini plants totally died. Zucchini is usually the thing people have an overabundance of and mine DIED.

That's awesome you've been able to grow so much though. It's so nice to be able to have fresh food to eat right in your backyard!

Kris said...

That Zucchini is HUGE. That's awesome. If I was there, I'd have you make me zucchini bread! :) Cute pic of Morgan!

Anonymous said...

thanks for giving me some of your surplus. i did make some zucchini bread. it got devoured by all!

Cathy said...

I love the picture of Morgan with the ginormous Zucchini! You are inspiring me to at least plant something next year!

tharker said...

That thing is almost as big as he is! You should put it next to the twins and compare lengths!!

PROUD MOMMY said...

Thanks for dropping that monster by. I'm not even sure I know how to go about chopping into it!! There will be zuccinin muffins forever judging by the size of that beast.

Anonymous said...

There are not many things better than home grown tomatoes!