Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




December 17, 2010

It's Almost Christmas Break

Today is the last day of school and then we have two full weeks of Christmas break. The last few days I've been busy as a squirrel storing nuts for winter. I've shopped, baked, cleaned, worked out, dealt with a broken dryer, wrapped presents, put decorations back on the tree the twins keep pulling down and watched as the days until Christmas have slowly been dwindling down. I've loved having Riley home every afternoon after work and I'm dreading him starting soccer again in January.

I'm also a little annoyed today.  I'm really tired of our school not letting the kids have holiday parties. Is it the school's or the teachers? Once again, I have to watch my daughter head off to school totally dejected because no holiday cheer is to be had in her class. LAME! I had her dress up in full Christmas colors and jangly bells anyway. Ha! They can't say it's a money issue because us parents would sign up to bring treats and whatever else was needed in to the class. Also, no Christmas concerts/plays/programs. DOUBLE LAME! I have so many fun memories from my childhood of our class parties and school programs that it makes me sad for Kendle to not have any of that. I can remember being Blitzen in my kindergarten program and Mrs. Snowman in first grade. We looked forward to it every year. It is seriously unbelievable to me that things like that are becoming a thing of the past. Ok, glad I got that off my chest. :)

Riley was having his work Christmas party/meeting today and spent all day yesterday smoking the ribs for it. My fridge and kitchen have smelled like garlic for the last 24 hours and I'm glad he finally packed those babies up this morning and I can have it start smelling like Christmas again and not a BBQ joint. To him that smell is heavenly, to me it just smells like campfire.

I am so stoked because as of this morning I have lost 10 pounds since I started running in September! It has been really tough, I won't lie. I have to literally drag myself onto the treadmill some days, but it's awesome to see the hard work paying off. I know if I followed a better diet the weight would probably be coming off quicker, but hey - I like to eat yummy food. My other goal was that I wanted to be able to run an 8 minute mile by Christmas. Today I ran it in 8:15. I'm getting closer every day. Realistically, I don't know if I can run much faster on the treadmill than I'm already running before I just fly off of there. I think it's easier on a track or the road to sprint really hard. Think I can make it to my goal by Christmas? We shall see. The best part isn't just losing the weight, but I am also feeling better and having more energy and feeling strong so that is all good. My next goal is to lose another 10 pounds by the end of March. I think slowly but surely is the best way to lose weight and keep it off.

I'm excited I get to catch up with my gal pals tonight and enjoy some yummy dinner. Tomorrow night we are doing Riley's family Christmas party at his brother's just a few block's away. I think we have a fun weekend in store.

6 comments:

NaDell said...

How sad that your school doesn't have Christmas parties (or even label them "holiday" parties). Our school had a whole school sing-a-long this morning. One of the grades has a play I think, the fourth and fifth graders have choir concerts, and our first graders have an all out party. They decorate cookies, play bingo, and read stories. All the fun stuff. My daughters have been coming home with snowmen, Christmas trees, gingerbread men, and all kinds of fun Christmas projects. Olivia's kindergarten class made reindeer hats out of construction paper to wear to their sing-a-long too. Adorable.
How can things be so different over the river between our towns?

Cathy said...

Anna did quite a few Christmasy things at Maya, and they had a party this morning in her class. I'm guessing that this is a directive from the principal. As a former teacher on the last day before Christmas break a party was pretty essential to my sanity :) I did have years with students who did not celebrate holidays, and then we had a winter party with a lot of snowmen going on :) Have a great Christmasy, fun weekend!

hatch said...

It must be a principal thing, because our school is full of Christmas cheer. The do a sing along, and have a holiday party in their classrooms and today was also red and green day. That a bummer for Kendle, luckily she has you for a mom and you make sure she has lots of Christmas cheer at home.

Anonymous said...

It's the parents of a few that complain to the principal/pto and ruin it for the vast majority. Tell them Sarah. Use your talent with words and write or call. They won't change a dang thing if they don't hear from us. The squeaky wheel get's the grease! SQUEAK, SQUEAK, SQUEAK!:) too bad you didn't have any pointy ears for kendle!

Kris said...

I always thought it was weird that McGee didn't celebrate either! I went to the kids' school twice yesterday for parties/and to watch the plays. All the teachers were dressed up as Elves and Santa even came on stage. It was awesome and I sat there shocked that they did this! I am going to post about it soon! I love that you got Kendle all dressed up for the day anyways! I agree with Nat, you should write. I thought it was a district thing there, so it's interesting to know that it's just McGee......Sounds like you will have a great weekend!

::lindsay said...

That is awesome about running an 8:15 mile! You should be so proud of yourself and you look fabulous!!!

As for the Christmas thing, I'm thinking it probably is a McGee thing vs. a district thing. At Livingston, they had a Jingle Bell walk in the morning which culminated with singing songs and having hot chocolate. Then both kids had holiday parties in their classroom. They also had a major Christmas choir/band/strings concert. I agree with Natallie--you should totally use your talent with words to write or call. I'm sure you are not the only parent to feel that way and I'm sure a lot of parents are waiting for someone to speak up first.

Have a Merry Christmas!!!!