Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




February 7, 2011

The Hard

Today was just one of those weird emotional days for me. It was a just a strange day. Riley has been coaching the last month or so and has been out of town almost every weekend so I've been either taking the kids to church by myself while he's gone or having friends and family help me watch the twins so that I can get to church and make sure Kendle and Morgan can be there. It has been really, really tough. It takes a lot of effort to make arrangements and figure things out just to get there. Today was the second week in a row that I was the recipient of some big time selfless service from friends who offered their help. It has been very humbling for me to receive so many acts of service over the last year or more since the twins were born. I know they don't view it as a big deal to help me, but it really means a lot to me and I don't take it for granted.

I realized over the last week that there is a season and time for everything and this is just a really, really challenging one for me. I've been fighting it and fighting it, and feeling that I can handle anything that comes along, but it was a losing battle. So I've finally given myself some permission to just let those feelings go. I feel like a little of the stress is gone.

It is NOT my season to be the person that volunteers to help out for everything that comes along.

It is NOT my time to try and keep up and worry about what everyone else is doing and what fun things I might be missing out on.

It IS my season to like going to bed early and be more of a home body because I'm really needing all the sleep I can get.

It IS my time to be home with my children every day and try my best to make their childhood wonderful and they are the only ones I care to impress with my time and devotion.

It IS my season to have an imperfect home with toys left all over the house and messes being constantly made, because four little children live in this "cozy" little house of ours.

I don't know why the simplest conclusions are the hardest to come by sometimes, because I feel like this was kind of a "duh" moment for me. I wish I could push rewind and go back before the twins were born and tell myself that the next few years were going to push me and challenge me and mold me in ways I never thought possible and that it would be emotionally, physically, and mentally exhausting - every single day. That basically no matter how hard I tried to imagine what it was going to be like, there was no way to prepare for it. That I would simultaneously wish every day for a vacation, yet also dread leaving my little ones behind. That every day would be a roller coaster of emotions and ups and downs. That those two adorable little boys would be SO DARN BUSY. AND CLEVER. AND FAST!!!

But I found while offering a friend some advice the other day, that it was exactly the advice I needed to be listening to myself. (Why is that?)  I said something along the lines of "that from the hardest challenges come the greatest blessings" or "sometimes the hardest things are the most worth it". Something like that. And then I remembered one of my most favorite lines from the movie A League of Their Own where Geena Davis tells Tom Hanks that she was quitting and going home "because it just got too hard." And then he replies to her, "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard everyone would do it. The hard, is what makes it great." Gah! I love that movie.

Well, it is late and I am starting to ramble so I need to go to bed, but I just felt like I really needed to write these feelings down. I want my children to know how much I love them though, and how every single thing I do for them is worth it and I couldn't imagine life without each and every one of them.

11 comments:

Heather said...

Well said Sarah. I think it's the same struggle for a lot of us, at least me.

There is something so humbling (but also somewhat refreshing) about saying "I can't do it all, all at the same time." I think your recognition of the 'seasons' is crucial. I keep having to remind myself that being happy and productive and anxiously engaged doesn't mean I take on every project or fill every minute of my day. Sometimes being anxiously engaged in playing CandyLand is good enough, right? I hope so. :)

Unknown said...

Hear Hear!

Anonymous said...

The hard times don't necessarily get easier but we get stronger. That's something I've learned. Our capacities increase as we do what needs to be done...and heaven blesses us for it in ways both seen and unseen:)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
PRP said...

Well said. And you looked fabulous at church yesterday so at least your stress doesn't show!

almond nuthouse said...

ok nat, we get it...please don't say it a fourth time. Just kidding.
sarah, I'm glad you realized these things but most important that you are ok with them, because there are times in everyones lives that we are going through something or whatever that we CAN'T do everything. Sometimes, NOTHING, as far as, anything outside our own families. Mine was 5 years ago, I was going through hell, it felt like when I realized that I could and needed to say "NO" and I really didn't care one bit what anyone thought or said because they had no idea what I was going through. It was a great realization to have. You just take care of yourself and your family and don't worry about anything else...your family is all that matters!!

Anonymous said...

i am trying to delete them.:) they are an hour apart! ????

Nancie said...

A huge lesson I've learned lately too. I like your word choice of "season".
Great reminder for me! I've been given so much also and (selfishly) want blessings from serving. I wish I was home more to help my bff's more.

Kris said...

It must be running in the waters even down here in OR. I've hit that point too. I can't do it all, and yet my desire is to do so much more. I'm even feeling that I want to do more with my kids too. It's so hard to find the balance. But we each have our season, and that season is different from anyone else. Good thoughts Sarah. You actually hit my thoughts today right on the head!

tharker said...

You said it so perfectly, I really can't add much to it except for a hearty, "YES!" I get it.

P.S.
I just watched A League of Their Own" again on Netflix a couple of weeks ago...I LOVE that movie!