Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




March 25, 2008

20 pounds

*Warning-this might be a little whiny and self indulgent, so read on at your own risk.

OK, I'm putting it out there. I'm trying to lose this last 20 pounds that won't budge. This baby weight is happy and comfortable and not wanting to go anywhere. I'm not one of those people who have the pounds melt off after having a baby, I have to seriously work my booty off with diet and exercise. The last couple of weeks I've been able to make a few pounds go away and stay away, but I'm still a far cry from my goal weight. I'm not even trying to get down to what I weighed before I was pregnant, just in the ball park. After I had Kendle, it took me almost two years to lose most of the weight ( I guess that's what happens when you gain almost sixty pounds), but I remember I had to really shock my body into losing weight. I jump started the process by going on a no-carb diet for a little while, and then gradually adding a few carbs back in. I looked at some pictures of myself from over the weekend, and had one of those "aha" moments. I asked my husband "is that what I really look like?". Of course he says all of the nice husband things, like you look great, and all of that, but it was then that I realized that I'm not going to sit around and complain about it anymore and starting this week I'm going to put myself in weight loss mode for real. I usually run or walk on the treadmill a couple of times a week, but I'm going to really push myself this week to run hard and do all of the other extras (crunches, resistance bands, lunges, stretching).

*Here is where the whiny self-indulgent part really kicks in. Just warning you.

I think the hardest thing for me, is that my whole life I've always been thin and not had to worry about my weight. This is not an asset to me because I can trick myself into thinking that I can still eat whatever I want and burn it off. Boy how the metabolism gods are laughing at me now.

I know a lot of you can relate to that, and I realize that it's not a diet, it's a life style change that works in the long run. Here are some things that sabotage my weight loss:

-I love to bake. AND I feel like a bad mom if I don't make cookies or a little treat for my family at least once a week.

-This time of year our family is on the go constantly, and it is way easier to eat junk or grab some fast food, than pack healthy food or eat before we go. (I know, excuses, excuses)

-My family loves to snack. If we go to my parents house they always have tons of snacks and goodies and I feel like I have a free pass or something to eat whatever I want because I'm at their house. I know it doesn't make sense, but in my delusioned state of snacking, I can convince myself that whatever I eat there will not count in the weight department.

Why did I write this post? I'm embarrassing myself into accountability I guess you could say. Next time you see me, I want you to ask me how my weight loss and exercise program are going.

Also, if anyone has any tasty low-carb, low-fat recipes you'd love to share, don't be afraid to send them my way. You can e-mail them to me if you'd like. If I get quite a few recipes, I'll post them on my blog for everyone to share.

14 comments:

PDX Toveys said...

Good for you Sarah! I hear you about the "I can still eat whatever and lose it later." I know for me cutting out fast food during the week and the soda has helped out. I try to reward myself during the weekend....and probably gain all the calories back, but it feels like I'm doing something positive. I'm the strongest I've ever been, but it's still hard to lose that excess fat at my age. We've all heard it before, but consistancy is the key. I like interval training as well (slow,fast etc...). If you have some dumbells or other weights use them (few sets but high reps). Good luck sis!

Anonymous said...

no low carb recipes here. in fact, my lunch consisted of fried chicken, creamy dill potato chips, and a squirt. but i only drank half of the can and the chips were mostly crumbs! :)

::lindsay said...

Oh, Sarah! I feel like I could have written this post myself. I feel for ya! I, too, have yet to lose my pregnancy pounds that with my first 2 babies all came off right away. I'm still far from my pre-pregnancy weight. You are so right, it is so hard when you've been able to eat whatever you want. I know you have a treadmill, but if you want a walking buddy ever, give me a call.

Just know though, I've always thought you look fantastic!!

TyLeen said...

I hear ya! I am going to be in the same spot you are in. Those dang baby pounds! I am also not one of those lucky girls that drops the pounds, I wish I was but lets face it...I'm not! Good luck with your weight goals...wish me luck!

meohmyers said...

I know exactly what you are going through. For some reason, my 4th pregnancy baby weight decided to take up permanent residence in my stomach and thighs and wasn't moving any time soon. I don't know why the weight came off easily before but not the 4th time.

I went on my first diet and lost 40 pounds with Weight Watchers. It really works. If you are interested, I can give you the info I used in losing my weight and maintaining my weight loss for over a year now. What I love about WW is you can still eat whatever you want but you need to be accountable for everything you are consuming - in points. Let me know if you're interested.

tharker said...

Your sabotages sound exactly like mine! Every single one. I don't necesarilly have weight to lose, but I could definitely use some "toning up". I like to make myself think that I can still eat whatever I want, but my body is getting older, and it's not cooperating the same way as it used to. Sunday morning, Hannah gave me a hug, and then she put her hand on my stomach and said, "Wow...your tummy is fatter than it normally is." Awe.Some.

Of course, I am typing this while I have an Orange Glaze Bundt cake in the oven....

hatch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hatch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hatch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hatch said...

Ok the the dork who had deleted her comment three times was me. Only I only wanted to delete it twice. My fingers are faster than this computer.

I feel for you. I used to be that person who could eat whatever. Not anymore, and it bites! The only thing that has ever really worked for me just happened to be the first diet I tried, and it is Weight Watchers. I like it because if you follow the program, it really works, and it teaches you what you need to do to keep the weight off. It is not so much a diet as a lifesyle. It is easy and it does not dictate what you can and cannot eat. It just teaches you about smart choices.

By the way you look great so do not be hard on yourself.

Kris said...

My SIL has done really well with Weight Watchers. I thought if I had to report to them every week, (it's happened 2 times in the past 6 weeks) then I'd get motivated. I can't help but eat all the yummy things. It's killing me too! Sarah, you look great, and keep up the good work. I'll be asking you how you are doing, next time I see you! :)

Anonymous said...

We're going to Hawaii in 8 weeks and I have 70 lbs. to lose. Do you think I can do it? Ha! Maybe if I got a tape worm or something...

I actually re-started my "a lot less sugar" diet this week. I did that before I got pregnant with Moira and lost 30 lbs. (which I easily gained back while I was pregnant with her).
I loosely followed the Dr. Phil eating plan and it worked well for me. I never felt hungry, and in fact had a difficult time sometimes eating all I was supposed to in a day. And I felt GREAT. So that's where I'm headed. I've also started doing 3-mile walks again during the week (sometimes not everyday if it's too rainy.) Anyway, enough of a novel? I'll look through my recipes and see what I can dig up... and I'd love for you to post some!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah...if you REALLY need something to motivate you, watch "You are what you eat" on the BBC. Anyone ever seen it?

Jan said...

Lots of great advice in here. You've got your own support group right here. I hope you discover what works for you. Everyone is truly different. But listen to your body and use common sense and I think you will be just fine.